The second new hill will be...

General discussion about DSJ4.
mjaorh

Re: The second new hill will be...

Post by mjaorh »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
mjaorh wrote:Jussi, if you are done making the new hills for the new update, when is the update ready for download?
I had still a few things in my mind, so it depends largely if I will make them for this version or for the next one.
I think a lot of the players want's new hills very soon. So if was you Jussi, I would release Villach and Oberstdorf very soon. I know that many players will be angry if they don't get an update soon.
premier

Post by premier »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
morxlen wrote:only 2 hils??
then i hope the CPU players is back..
It's not possible to have CPU players in this version if they are seeded from the online game the way I have been planning to. As said earlier they could be available in the release after that.
is it going to be a matter of few days or few months again ?
domi_deluxe

Post by domi_deluxe »

I think a lot of the players want's new hills very soon. So if was you Jussi, I would release Villach and Oberstdorf very soon. I know that many players will be angry if they don't get an update soon.
please don't pressure jussi too much
i think, to make a new hill (without any bugs), it is hard work

so ... when he's ready ...

maybe he surprises us with a 3rd or 4th new hill :mrgreen:
###fu**ing cheaters!!!###
Gutek70

Post by Gutek70 »

I look forward to the new ski jump! I hope that the new version will fix Jussi Kulm landing! Because at this time landing there is an extremely difficult and not realistic for me!
Regards Jussi and I ask for the rapid release of new jumps :)
Gram tylko online - I only play online!!!
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Gutek70 wrote:I look forward to the new ski jump! I hope that the new version will fix Jussi Kulm landing! Because at this time landing there is an extremely difficult and not realistic for me!
Regards Jussi and I ask for the rapid release of new jumps :)
I hope that Jussi will fix landing at Kulm because I find pretty impossible to land anything with a telemark over a HS point.
morxlen

Post by morxlen »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
morxlen wrote:only 2 hils??
then i hope the CPU players is back..
It's not possible to have CPU players in this version if they are seeded from the online game the way I have been planning to. As said earlier they could be available in the release after that.
If you do not make the CPU players left, I think you lose players, because when the online period is over, many will get bored of just playing with themselves and so few hills .. I think DSJ is a great game, so I give you just a tip from a player who wants DSJ too continue to live on top! :))
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Why don't I get excited? Hmmm .. maybe because this screen looks like any other jumping hill? The thing is: The surrounding area is ALWAYS the same! So Jussi, if you really want to have some visual variety, you should work more on the environment of the jumping hill, mainly the area around the inrun. For example, Vikersund and Planica have some nice "walls of rock" next to the jumping hill. A hill like Engelberg has its inrun inside the forst, in between trees (but place the camera and trees in a way that the trees don't block the side, e.g. less trees on the camera side even though that's less realistic). Oberstdorf, for example, is much too exposed on your screenshot. Actually, this screenshot looks more like a ski flying hill in Lahti, but with a German flag. The surrounding area doesn't look like the Oberstdorf sky flying hill at all!

But as y'all know: Visual improvements are no priority, imho.
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

It's not possible to have trees in the proximity of the hills since people are using different kind of camera angles for the jumping. You might recall one single tree being the biggest problem in DSJ3 for many people... ;)

And more trees far away means slower frame rate, too.
TPo

Post by TPo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:It's not possible to have trees in the proximity of the hills since people are using different kind of camera angles for the jumping. You might recall one single tree being the biggest problem in DSJ3 for many people... ;)

And more trees far away means slower frame rate, too.
That's why we can change the number of trees in our settings...
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Okay, let's get rid of all trees. The world doesn't need them! :mrgreen:

But my basic point still stands. The surroundings of the jumping hills all "feel" the same. One screenshot looks like the other. There's definitely room for variety there (and why do all the houses all around the globe look exactly the same as well?). Here comes the but(t): In any case, focus on new gameplay features first ;)
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

Ditto. Surely, the landscape could use an improvement...
However, when I read such requests I can't help but see Jussi's favourite universal reply here: "Too much work compared to the benefit" xDDD
On the other hand, we jumped in DSJ3 in barren, lifeless landscapes with a few trees (on ISL even without trees) for several years and nobody complained... I guess DSJ series is mostly just about the precise simulation of the jump itself and the rest is more or less the necessary "background". As much as I can live with that, some improvements in this area would certainly be more than welcome ;-)

For fancy visuals and lifelike surroundings we have RTL Skispringen and Skoki Narciarskie. Both series have been discontinued, but the problem with those commercial titles was that they started to bore me after first couple of hours which never happened with DSJ (after 12 years!). Now and then I grab one of them to do a few jumps in a single event like Four Hills Tournee or Olympics which is fun, but it never lasts long and I return to DSJ. So, for me, it has always been the "replayability" before any other aspect in a ski jumping game. That's why I also liked Ville Könönen's Ski Jump International for many years so much, even though it's become incredibly outdated over the years.

In world of virtual ski jumping, it seems that it's either serious gameplay or serious graphics. I guess we can't have it all :)
Simon (Patchmaker)

Post by Simon (Patchmaker) »

Why you makes hills in Notepad? Modeling in Rhinoceros would be easier and faster... ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Martin Kafka wrote:Ditto. Surely, the landscape could use an improvement...
In world of virtual ski jumping, it seems that it's either serious gameplay or serious graphics. I guess we can't have it all :)
Sure we can, but this takes some time.
Nie popieram małyszomanii, a tym bardziej żadnej stochomanii.
Albo kibicujesz wszystkim skoczkom, albo rodakom, albo ssiesz ;)
"Czułeś się kiedyś jak Hula?" -Woody Allen
MichalMMM

Post by MichalMMM »

nice hill
Gutek70

Post by Gutek70 »

I am not an good player! However, I noticed that on the hill of igielit white lines are too bright! Jussi suggest changing the color to gray.
Gram tylko online - I only play online!!!