Discussion about cheating

General discussion about DSJ4.
Michael

Discussion about cheating

Post by Michael »

Sorry, because I make this topic but because it seems to be a true problem in DSJ nowadays. So let's talk here only about this thing. Some questions to open conversation:

What makes people to cheat in your opinion? In a pc game...
How can people cheat even there should be blocks in the game to prevent this?
What do you think of cheaters personally?
Would you accept cheating in DSJ if doping was accepted in sport?
Do you think cheating is a big problem in DSJ and a large amount of people use it?
What do the makers of DSJ think of cheating in game?

And I tell you, no one should share tips for cheating here! And of course it's not allowed to call anyone by a name. This is only a conversation area about this thing.
Zmaster

Re: Discussion about cheating

Post by Zmaster »

Michael wrote:Would you accept cheating in DSJ if doping was accepted in sport?
If it was accepted it wouldn't be illegal and therefore it isn't cheating anymore.
That's gotta hurt.
MadJump

Post by MadJump »

I personally lose interest of games with cheating.

1. People cheat when they are bad at the game or when the game has begun to get boring.
2. I don't think you can totally block cheats, but there should be a huge amount of work to prevent it as far as possible.
3. I hate cheaters because they ruin the games for other people.
4. No.
5. Yes.
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Michael wrote: What makes people to cheat in your opinion? In a pc game...
Getting attention.
That's gotta hurt.
HexTheRex

Post by HexTheRex »

Maybe. But attention can also be earned by jumping so good, that people think you are a cheater ;D
- Heikki Haikonen
- Age 19
- Never used cheating

DSJ2:
- Total Length: 5260,23

DSJ3:
- Total Length 7795,67 (Finnish Record, World 4th)
- 15 Finnish records
- F3 view

DSJ4:
- Total Length 1271,97
- Online rating 1756 (WR!!!)

DSJ SuperTotal: 14326,69m
DrCal

Post by DrCal »

What makes people to cheat in your opinion? In a pc game... - showing off?

How can people cheat even there should be blocks in the game to prevent this? - it's almost like a challenge in it's own right

What do you think of cheaters personally? - it's annoying because it's no longer a level playing field

Would you accept cheating in DSJ if doping was accepted in sport? - doping should be accepted, half the time people get away with it. if one cheats all should be allowed to. then it's not cheating

Do you think cheating is a big problem in DSJ and a large amount of people use it? - no i think now with replays only those with a good level of computer knowledge could cheat

What do the makers of DSJ think of cheating in game? - imo, jussi has said very little about the subject. so perhaps he feels nobody is cheating? (well, he hasnt removed the jumps of pfleger, etc, so maybe he thinks they are real, or has no way to prove otherwise that they are using slowdown, etc)

* Also i have heard people say it is possible to cheat in online game, if so how? Do you get to watch other players jumps or only see their results? *
Daniel Calland - GBR
Total Length - 2478.64m
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Typical characteristics of a cheater:

selfishness
greed
need for attention, insecurity
lack of selfrespect
lack of respect for others (his competitors)
low moral standards
compulsive lying
a psychopatic degree of egoism
lack of sportmanship
no concept of fair play
no honour
stupidity
bulwa11

Post by bulwa11 »

^ yep, fully agreed.
TPo

Post by TPo »

Like I posted 2 months ago on this forum, I cheated in DSJ3. Why?
Boredom. Thats why I admitted it before I even started.
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
MadJump

Post by MadJump »

You can`t just ignore cheating.. What is the point trying to get better and beat records if a noob cheats and always jumps better than those who do not cheat.
The whole point with online gaming is to be better than the others (without cheating). Ignore it and never be sure if you have jumped good or not? then I rather find something else to do.
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

What do you mean by "cheating"?

Who really cares if someone uses any cheats? Games are about fun. If people find walking through some games more fun with the use of cheats, I see nothing bad about it as long as it's all offline and doesn't appear in some competitions where I think all players participating should have equal chances.

I dug in quite a few games because I found it fun, e.g. some story games need you to get a few items that eventually make you finish the game and you can get these items with some hacks/cheats (call it what you want), then find the shortest route from the beginning to the end and end a 10-hour scenario in 5 minutes. It may be fun. And nobody is going to post it anywhere as a record... Sometimes games are too hard for some and they want to know what's next. Once I stuck at one point in <game> and during my first go I used "God" cheat via a built-in console. Who gives a damn I did it if I haven't started playing the game for the score in the first place.

The same goes for sports games. Really, I guess some people are overreacting (seems like a lot of here) and don't understand these are just games. So let alone offline playing and if someone wants to jump 200 meters on a K120 hill, let them if it gives them some feeling of pleasure.

BTW, like you see, my records in DSJ aren't from the top, anyway these are my real records. I had better results with hacks. I could post anything there, it doesn't give me any benefits if I get better because I don't find buying a subscription for online playing worth it (I don't have time for that).

Differentiate online and offline playing.
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

doubleffect wrote:Differentiate online and offline playing.
Exactly. In my opinion even online cheating doesn't kinda matter unless there are some kind of prizes involved. The point is to have fun. If cheating ruins one's fun, then that person is going to have a hard time in competitive gaming in general.
That's gotta hurt.
zonaren

Post by zonaren »

Zmaster wrote:
Exactly. In my opinion even online cheating doesn't kinda matter unless there are some kind of prizes involved. The point is to have fun. If cheating ruins one's fun, then that person is going to have a hard time in competitive gaming in general.
That's an interesting opinion, but lets say that you play a card game with your friends or something like that, would it be ok for you that they cheat?
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

zonaren wrote:
Zmaster wrote:
That's an interesting opinion, but lets say that you play a card game with your friends or something like that, would it be ok for you that they cheat?
Well as long as everyone is having fun and we are playing without bets etc, sure. I still think that only one who isn't having fun is the cheater because he is actually cheating to gain better self-esteem.

And if this cheating somehow uncovers, I would be more like "really? O.o" than "OMG ò.ó".
That's gotta hurt.
MadJump

Post by MadJump »

Well, I don't think online games with scores is fun when there is cheating.