Landing [Guide]

General discussion about DSJ4.
Aerotal

Landing [Guide]

Post by Aerotal »

Seems like everyone has some problems with landing so here are a few good tips for beginners! This is just a summary of "landing"-topic. There is also all this information.

1. Two foot landing is always easier than telemark (click left and right mouse buttons to land. A delay between the mouse clicks makes the telemark landing wider. You can also do telemark with one click but thats way the chance of falling is the biggest)
2. Landing is easier with lower flying curve (the higher you fall, bigger chance of falling)
3. Stop moving your mouse for the last second before landing (or lean your ski jumper little bit backwards before landing)
4. Timing needs to be right which everyone needs to learn by themselves

If someone has any other tips for landing, i will add them here.
Zmaster

Re: Landing [Guide]

Post by Zmaster »

That's gotta hurt.
NaQ444

Post by NaQ444 »

thanks you because in new DSJ i can't landing good ps. sorry for my bad english
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

U have to jump Qualifications,no try to be first or do tellemark at big sizes,try to just qualificate
First round..You have to make good takeoff ,if it's too long press 2 keys (u will be 5-10 but 1st will be not more than 5-10 points better than u)
]2nd round..If you jumped good and have good result in first serie go to hs or more and do telemark,DO NOT TRY TO BEAT SOME RECORDS OR LIKE THAT,U WILL FAIL AND THAT MEANS - points..Be 3rd,4th it's better than 230 with fail,is it?
That's some guide how jumps can be look in online mod,and most important
-IF U JUMP LONG ,DO 2 CLICKS,IT'S SAFER
-IF U JUMP ABOUT HS AND DO TELEMARK,THAT'S GOOD
It isn't something new but i think i will help to someone
premier

Post by premier »

Aerotal wrote:Seems like everyone has some problems with landing so here are a few good tips for beginners! This is just a summary of "landing"-topic. There is also all this information.

1. Two foot landing is always easier than telemark (click left and right mouse buttons to land. A delay between the mouse clicks makes the telemark landing wider. You can also do telemark with one click but thats way the chance of falling is the biggest)

If someone has any other tips for landing, i will add them here.
i never learned how to do that. How long should be the delay? Do i have to hold the button which i pressed first before i press the second one ?
Aerotal

Post by Aerotal »

The delay is about 1 second to make maximum telemark. You can do it by clicking first left and then right or holding left and then clicking right. It can be done also other way around (first right button and then left).
terje

Post by terje »

I have the distance...for example I jumped 218 on Bad Mitterndorf and of course I fall...I don't know what to do...I have excellent curve but I don't know what exactly should I do with my hands and which movement have to do later..how can I move jumper a bit backwards and prepare for landing...what should I do with my hand to make jumper change the position before landing from more horizontal to a bit backwards? Please help...thx
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

terje wrote:how can I move jumper a bit backwards and prepare for landing...what should I do with my hand to make jumper change the position before landing from more horizontal to a bit backwards? Please help...thx
Simply let go completely of leaning forward when landing on extreme lengths. Watch the replays of the best jumps (Hill Records -> World Records).
terje

Post by terje »

Thank you Risto. Actually I did that and watched replays but I still did'n catch the right moment when I have to stop leaning forward :)
Still much to learn :)
m00nchile

Post by m00nchile »

Yea, Kulm is a real pain to land. I still have a 219.32 replay that haunts me.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

About Kulm: It seems that many players have particular difficulties landing here. Some have suggested lower starting gates. But since gate 2 is used in good wind conditions, we can't get much lower. Could it be that the actual speed relative to gate number is set a bit to high, and should be reduced?
TPo

Post by TPo »

Grufugl wrote:About Kulm: It seems that many players have particular difficulties landing here. Some have suggested lower starting gates. But since gate 2 is used in good wind conditions, we can't get much lower. Could it be that the actual speed relative to gate number is set a bit to high, and should be reduced?
Its not too high. The hill simply doesnt suit the game very well... Though I love it, and hope it wont be changed in any way :wink:
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

It doesn't work for me when I exceed hill size, I can't land even without telemark. I don't get this version of DSJ at all. Good take-off is like random for me and the jumpers usually falls even when it seems that conditions are just perfect. The jumper behaves too much like a doll sometimes.

Not to mention that on both flying hills the jumper always starts flipping back when getting to ~200m (Bad Mitterndorf is actually the worst). It doesn't matter if I move a mouse or not, I can't correct his position, he's like totally stiff and like the wind is extremely strong...
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

doubleffect wrote:It doesn't work for me
Your patch have virus :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just take some practice and u will be master,believe me :)
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Grufugl wrote:About Kulm: It seems that many players have particular difficulties landing here. Some have suggested lower starting gates. But since gate 2 is used in good wind conditions, we can't get much lower. Could it be that the actual speed relative to gate number is set a bit to high, and should be reduced?
I've done some testing with this now in practice mode. I keep falling when I hit 216+. I've checked out some replays for 219 and honestly don't see that much of a difference. It only seems to me that people "give up" their jumps a bit too early in order to get slower. That might be why some people suggest that the gate should be lower, but that's nonsense. If the landing speed really is the issue, that Jussi needed to get back to the drawing board in regards to DSJ4 landing physics.

First of all: Good examples are the hill records in Planica (Romören), Oberstdorf (Olli) and Evensen (Vikersund) as well as the famous Ahonen-fall in Planica. Three of these four jumpers make their jumps extremely fast with a low flying curve and also "finish" their jumps. One of them gains more height instead, loses speed on his way down and even aborts the jump. You will see who is who ;)

After watching replays of landed 218+ jumps, I thought that we are dealing with a sort of "reversed realism". Players seem to abort their jumps in order to land them, but when you try to finish your jumps, you will fall. It just doesn't add up. The more forward speed you have, the less landing pressure you will have, because of those "physics vectors". I'm not a scientist, I'm not good at explaining this, but what I do remember from school, you have these vectors and they have their certain lengths, which add up somehow. So basically, if you reduce the forward speed vector, the gravity vector will increase (= more landing pressure). If you gain more forward speed, that vector should become longer and reduce the gravity vector accordingly. This doesn't seem to happen in DSJ4 though ... which leads to the theory with reducing start gates. Sure, there would be less falls ... but only because we wouldn't get much past 215 meters anymore!!! And everyone knows that 220+ is possible at the Kulm. If Nagiller's binding hadn't broke, he totally would have landed that jump. And actually, he did - he somehow managed to cross the crash line without touching the snow imho ;)

So basically, the gate should be be fine as is, but something doesn't quite add up with the landing physics. More forward speed should make landing easier - as well as a lower flying curve, of course. But the new DSJ4 system doesn't give us that much freedom in flying style anymore. We could determine our flying curve much better in DSJ2 and DSJ3, although DSJ2 had that Severin bug, of course. DSJ3 didn't have that bug anymore and allowed pretty good for an individual choice of flying style. You could make a difference between small and big hills as well as between front and back wind. This isn't the case anymore and I've criticized that from the very beginning of beta 1. We now have to fit into a certain scheme, a certain flying style with barely any space for individual decisions. Small hill, big hill, front wind, back wind - the ankle between body and skis is more or less the same, the switch from take-off to flying phase is also more or less the same. If you are too aggressive, you lose height and can't make up with speed gain, not even on flying hills. And that's basically what I miss most in DSJ4: That "flying effect" from real ski flying. Y'know, when the best flyers in the world seem to hit the hill at 100 meters already, but then they suddenly seem to "fly away" from the hill due to their aggressive take-off and the resulting speed gain. In DSJ4, ski flying looks like ski jumping. You just can't fly away from the hill. That's what I'm missing :(
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog