Updates

General discussion about DSJ4.
bulwa11

Re: Updates

Post by bulwa11 »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
SuperAdo111 wrote:
Severin wrote:about one hill every month or so would be nice enough...
maybe 2 hills in 1 month,jussi said for one hill he need 2-5 days,Give him 10 and it's enough
10 for 1st hill
10 for 2nd hill
and 11 for other... :)
It was like 5 days per hill at the end (after I raised my standards a bit :D).

in fact the standards are so high, that I spent loads of time in training mode playing with the camera and just watching the beautiful hills instead of jumping :)
TPo

Post by TPo »

SuperAdo111 wrote:No TPo ,i think it will be too much for Jussi,he have private life , 3 is the most i think,but i will be happy with 2 :)
Perhaps, but its Jussis occupation. Someone working in a normal job couldnt just take a week off because "I have a private life!" :wink:
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

Okay,okay do not get angry man,OKAY,4 hills in a month and in every version something new,i think it's perfect (or just a little bit too much) but it's Jussi decision,let him to do what he think is the best :) I know this isn't right topic but i wish if u can make new Hollmenkolen (Oslo hill) , it's take little bit more time but it will be really good to jump on newest and most exepensive hill ever :DD
RamGuy

Post by RamGuy »

Personally I wouldn't give additional hills the top priority quite yet. The release of Deluxe Ski Jumping 4 was much anticipated, and I for one find the physics hands down fantastic and the added realism and difficulty during landings have created a whole new level of enjoyment for me.

But the lack of hills and no computer controlled ski jumpers have made the release somewhat lacklustre for many of us. There is no doubt that'll Jussi will include all these features later on, and as we already can tell from this thread we can expect several hills being added in the upcoming year.

Personally though I don't find the lack of hills the major problem at this date, the lack of AI / computer controlled jumpers is much more severe because it basically renders the whole offline aspect of the game quite boring after a very short while, at least if you are playing on your own.

And as there is no way to host your own online competitions (as I know of? hosting your very own servers is something that could be added later on as well, Deluxe Ski Jump would make for a really awesome lan party game for instance), and the fact that there is a online subscription fee, not to mention the quality and level some people here posses when it comes to this game makes online competitions less appealing than creating our very own offline competitions where we base the AI levels according to our own levels and play the game how we want it to be played.

Deluxe Ski Jumping 4.0 has taken huge steps towards being more realistic and features much improved visuals over the previous version, but at the same time it feels like a amputated version, especially for players whom don't enjoy online competitions that much and don't want to pay for the online subscription.

Therefore I think all resources should be put towards providing CPU controlled / AI control ski jumpers in order to make the game what it's supposed to be in the first place for offline players. And in the meanwhile I think online subscription should be free until CPU / AI controlled ski jumpers are included in the game.

I know several people whom refuse to pick up this new version until CPU / AI controlled ski jumpers are added, and several of these have played both Deluxe Ski Jumping 2 and 3 for ages. Gamer.no has an article about Deluxe Ski Jump 4.0 and most comments are regarding the lack of CPU / AI controlled ski jumpers.

So CPU / AI controlled ski jumpers before additional hills is my opinion.

And I still believe something should be done when it comes to the wind corridors when playing offline games, we just had the second round in Bischofshofen being cancelled because of tiny difference in the wind conditions. Looking at this years world cup there is obvious that the allowed wind corridors during world cup competitions have gotten tighter than ever before, but still I see things varying from 1m/s tailwind to 1m/s upwind, to 0.2m/s sidewind within my competitions existing of only fifteen jumpers? In 2012 this is simply not realistic any more.

We should be able to at least take jumpers of the ramp and wait for better conditions ourself, set fixed wind conditions upfront or at least set our own wind corridors allowing for x.xx m/s variation in wind conditions or something like this.

I know this might make world records and such be much easier to obtain, but why don't you just make only online jumps count towards world record rankings? Why does offline jumps have to count in the first place? Or you could simply make a switch so fixed wind conditions and / or manual wind corridors equals no chance of settings world records.

Same goes for changing ramp positions during offline competitions, we do have a system for this in the real world already so why can't we adjust the ramp position in-game as well? At least be able to select at set position upfront allowing less skilled players to get some fairly lengthy jumps.

Last but not least the Deluxe Ski Jumping is due for some additions when it comes to competitions methods, why not include both offline and online modes of the 4-hill tournament and things like that?
TPo

Post by TPo »

RamGuy wrote:So CPU / AI controlled ski jumpers before additional hills is my opinion.
I dont think so... I never play with CPU jumpers in DSJ2 and 3 :roll: For me, the game is all about setting records.
And I still believe something should be done when it comes to the wind corridors when playing offline games, we just had the second round in Bischofshofen being cancelled because of tiny difference in the wind conditions. Looking at this years world cup there is obvious that the allowed wind corridors during world cup competitions have gotten tighter than ever before, but still I see things varying from 1m/s tailwind to 1m/s upwind, to 0.2m/s sidewind within my competitions existing of only fifteen jumpers? In 2012 this is simply not realistic any more.
It was cancelled because of snowing, not wind. And I dont believe you, as its not possible for the wind to change more than 1m/s from the seed. So 1m tailwind cant become 1m headwind for some other jumper.
We should be able to at least take jumpers of the ramp and wait for better conditions ourself, set fixed wind conditions upfront or at least set our own wind corridors allowing for x.xx m/s variation in wind conditions or something like this.
The wind in DSJ4 is very stabile. Theres no need for this kind of thing.

I know this might make world records and such be much easier to obtain, but why don't you just make only online jumps count towards world record rankings? Why does offline jumps have to count in the first place? Or you could simply make a switch so fixed wind conditions and / or manual wind corridors equals no chance of settings world records.
You can always play in practise... For me, online records is an annoying idea. I like jumping in offline, 200 times in a row with good winds.
Same goes for changing ramp positions during offline competitions, we do have a system for this in the real world already so why can't we adjust the ramp position in-game as well? At least be able to select at set position upfront allowing less skilled players to get some fairly lengthy jumps.
This would completely break the record system and offline tournaments :roll:
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

RamGuy wrote:but why don't you just make only online jumps count towards world record rankings? Why does offline jumps have to count in the first place?
I support this idea. Actually I have proposed allready in dsj3 to completely separate on- and offline, as I see them as simply two different games. (And I like them both).

I cannot see the problem with two different lists. I think when jumping offline, offline wr, lr and pr should show, and when online, online wr,lr and pr, both in figures and as lines.

Doing a certain record online, with the competition pressure, risk of rating loss, random wind and only three jumps in each hill at the time is a totally different achievement then the same record offline.
SuperAdo111

Post by SuperAdo111 »

I also think that will be good to have 2 different lists,1 for online 1 for offline ;)
Tom_95_AUT

Post by Tom_95_AUT »

yeah that would be great!
playing online is more like in real world and offline is just like how far can we get ;)
Aerotal

Post by Aerotal »

SuperAdo111 wrote:I also think that will be good to have 2 different lists,1 for online 1 for offline ;)
+1
Kresimir

Post by Kresimir »

Maybe if this is possible - if can be added for offline play something like chasing distance (records) mode (like in settings you tick a box which would trigger narrower wind options (to make good wind more often) because sometimes it took more then 15 minutes on one hill to find a suitable wind conditions to try good jumps. Otherwise - just congratulations on your hard work.
Finaly over 7700m

Everybody who wants my replays, send an e-mail.