No
94%

Total votes: 85

Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Someone still using Windows 98?

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I could solve the problem with the game crashing when importing replay files with file names containing characters from different locales if I dropped the support for Windows 98.
magnevox

Re: Someone still using Windows 98?

Post by magnevox »

Windows 98 is waste of time
javelkjell25

Post by javelkjell25 »

I really doubt that anyone is still using win98. If they are, it's perhaps about time to upgrade :)
dzamper

Post by dzamper »

According to this, in June 2011 Windows 98 was installed on 0.03% of computers browsing the Internet.
Image     Image
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

With the arrival of Windows XP more and more users started to migrate. Windows 98 is still a 16-bit/32-bit hybrid OS. Vista didn't make such a big impact on the market because it was poorly manufactured and I guess most users were those who had it preinstalled with new computers. Now the situation is again changing after the arrival of Windows 7. It's almost 2 years after its release so it's stable and people don't fear migrating to Windows 7. I guess it's just a matter of time and Windows 7 will outrun Windows XP. Really, nowadays there's no place for Win 9x systems after Win NT systems became mainstream products. I personally have Win XP Pro on my PC and I've got Win 7 HP on my laptop. And actually I've never really had Windows 98. I had Millennium for quite a long time but when applications became stable on XP, I didn't hesitate to change the system.
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Ok, I'll be dropping the support for Windows 98. DSJ4 will then be able to handle user files from different locales (language areas).
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

Game developers all around the globe have long dropped support for Windows 98 - just saying ;)

In regards to doubleeffect's posting, which is sadly mostly true, I have to point out that I'm a big fan of Vista. I migrated to XP only when ME really was no option anymore due to lack of support. They say "never change a running system" and since ME was running smoothly, I never felt the need to migrate. XP itself was a pain in the you-know-what and as soon as Vista was out, I gladly migrated and never looked back. When I bought a notebook later, I went with Windows 7 and tried fixing that crap, but basically gave up. Windows 7 feels like a beta version of Vista. I have no idea how Microsoft managed to break things that already worked with Vista. Worst problem with Windows 7 is that they've sort of "mirrored" the Windows GUI. Shortcut icons have been forever on the bottom left, now they are on the bottom right and I just didn't figure out a way to fix that. So just with XP, I can not understand why Windows 7 is being hyped. Luckily, Windows 7 is mainly Vista with only a few extra issues and a different name, so I'm not (yet) worried about system support ...
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog