Control system in DSJ4

General discussion about DSJ4.
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

I think the control system is pretty good. It's just that if you manage a good take-off there's nothing you need to control in the air. There's a lack of gravity and air pressure (particularly in head wind), which were evident in DSJ 3. I also miss wind gusts which would make things more interesting.

The lack of gravity just multiplies it's presence in the landing, jumps are too easy to stand.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Risto Salonen wrote:I think the control system is pretty good. It's just that if you manage a good take-off there's nothing you need to control in the air. There's a lack of gravity and air pressure (particularly in head wind), which were evident in DSJ 3. I also miss wind gusts which would make things more interesting.

The lack of gravity just multiplies it's presence in the landing, jumps are too easy to stand.
Gravity is exactly the same in DSJ3 and DSJ4 (i.e. 9,81 m/s^2 as in real life). It might feel different because the hill profiles were much steeper in DSJ3 (so you were falling down more than flying forward). I can increase the effect of wind if there is need for that. With varying start gate positions it wouldn't even ruin the fun in tail winds.
doubleffect

Post by doubleffect »

There is no need for increasing maximum wind in my humble opinion. No competition takes places when there's a wind of 3-4 m/s. They stop competitions when it's below 2 m/s. Well, it's good to look at wind factor points. It's very rare that jumpers get points equal to 2 m/s (and if it happens, it's an unwanted flurry of wind).

The wind is perfect right now, not so changeable as in DSJ3 and there are no hurricanes. :)
Wolf wrote:In my opinion, based on Beta 1, DSJ 4 is a very realistic game, you can see that Jussi has put a lot of work in the physics of the jump. And the fact that he jumps a little differently than previous versions, it's just great advantage of the game ! Only people who like to go to the sitter will be complaining ! To work and train !
It's not about cutting the corners, I never aspired to be among the best here, if I play a game, I play it to enjoy it. Deluxe Ski Jump is the best ski jumping game series, that's for sure. Anyway, some things keep me wondering, that's all. For jumping I use "Modern Side View", anyway I watched my jumps in "Classic Side View", the jumper looks like he was swaying in air backwards or frontwards.

I'm also aware of that any bugs are to be resolved by one person. And the game still works better than some games produced by big companies that sometimes don't even test them to the utmost before release.

It's a good thing DSJ gets a public beta release as players are the best beta testers in my opinion. Maybe some of those aforementioned companies should take their cue from Jussi.
DSJ3 Personal best: 314.0m (Slovenia)
DSJ4 Personal best: 196.5m (Planica) (what a great jump that was!...)
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

doubleffect wrote:There is no need for increasing maximum wind in my humble opinion. No competition takes places when there's a wind of 3-4 m/s. They stop competitions when it's below 2 m/s. Well, it's good to look at wind factor points. It's very rare that jumpers get points equal to 2 m/s (and if it happens, it's an unwanted flurry of wind).

The wind is perfect right now, not so changeable as in DSJ3 and there are no hurricanes. :)
Increasing maximum wind speed is not what we're after here. In DSJ 4 the wind doesn't "grab" the jumper like it should in certain circumstances. Right now I just feel like flying in space with Earth's gravity included.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Risto Salonen wrote: Increasing maximum wind speed is not what we're after here. In DSJ 4 the wind doesn't "grab" the jumper like it should in certain circumstances. Right now I just feel like flying in space with Earth's gravity included.
I'll have to implement wind gusts for that. "Constant" wind doesn't have the grab effect.
Anyway, gusts will make the jumping more difficult and the bad luck factor will be higher.
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Anyway, gusts will make the jumping more difficult and the bad luck factor will be higher.
Gusts don't need to be very big to slightly knock the jumper in speeds over 100 km/h though. Subtle is the keyword :)