DSJ4 online - it's time to fix wind waiters problem once and for all

General discussion about DSJ4.
Tom2

DSJ4 online - it's time to fix wind waiters problem once and for all

Post by Tom2 »

Recently, there was applied time limit from 10 to 5 seconds to reduce windwaiting problem. However, during these 5 seconds, wind conditions can change so drastically that people who start later, get far better wind conditions and sometimes jump even 5-6m further than anyone else. I could give dozens of examples on that topic, both as a beneficiary and victim, but I think one is enough.

Example from today's Weekly Tournament: Harrachov HS205. Watch this clip carefully: https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdHappyOyster ... EtQhxPWxrh

Here's what happened:
  • 5.0 second runners jumped around 205-207.5m, few people did 209m, and Waldemar Ropucha jumped 209.5m
  • Szymon Chmielowski until 1.4 seconds, and jumped 213.5m
  • I waited until 0.3 seconds - jumped 212m
As a result, it gave us a huge advantage, normally we wouldn't have. Szymon won the competition, and I finished in 4th place. (results: https://dsjtournaments.com/tournaments/ ... 1981/final)

Every Weekly Online Tournament, there are at least 3-4 competitions (if not more) which can't be really fair due to such situations.

Since there doesn't exist wind compensation system, I would like to propose a seemingly much simpler solution, which will solve this problem 100% once and for all. Here it is: wind freezing. Watch this Youtube video which will show exactly what I mean:

With this method applied, there won't be any wind excuses anymore, and competitions will be finally about pure skill, and not about who gets better wind conditions.

Last but not least. Some people would probably disagree with me, saying it destroys variety, that it won't be about realism anymore or something. But do we really want to have such variety as that in example, that you run instantly, jump your best jump and put best effort, and then realize it won't be anyhow enough to even be on the podium, because someone got completely different conditions and you literally can't make it up? I really don't think so. It's not fair to be part of such competitions for any of us.

So tell me, what do you think - is it finally about time to change, or we don't do anything about it, and people will keep complaining, or even offending others for such uses of better conditions?
Last edited by Tom2 on 30 Dec 2021, 14:11, edited 2 times in total.
DSJ3 TL: 7755.36m (#39), peak: 1325 (#490)
DSJ4 TL: 3550.97m (#3), online: 3506.29m (#11), peak: 1942 (#5)

DSJ3 PB: 318.88m (#19)
DSJ4 PB: 242.88m (#2)
RZYMDZIO

Re: DSJ4 online - it's time to fix wind waiters problem once and for all

Post by RZYMDZIO »

In tournaments - maybe, in other servers - no
TOP #3 ONLINE (3521.95 m)
2 OFFICIAL WORLD RECORDS ONLINE
1 OFFICIAL WR OFFLINE
SoBo

Post by SoBo »

A topic for me for discussion, but why picks up someone who still uses this bug? Same wind conditions, for every player on WOT, will close the topic "windwaiters 'completely.
PEAK : 1946

Online Total length 3531.47m
Tom2

Post by Tom2 »

SoBo wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:29 A topic for me for discussion, but why picks up someone who still uses this bug?
I purposely used waiting to show, how absurd this situation is. I don't want to be ever told by anybody, that I am butthurt about others doing it. I've been in both positions and I perfectly know how it is.

SoBo wrote: Same wind conditions, for every player on WOT, will close the topic "windwaiters 'completely.
That's exactly what I proposed in Youtube video I attached. This will eliminate the problem 100% once and for all.

RZYMDZIO wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 11:16 In tournaments - maybe, in other servers - no
Perhaps difficult to be implemented, but I would gladly accept that. Sometimes waiting outside tournaments helps getting better World Records and that's actually OK for the game.

J4cob

Post by J4cob »

Maybe do a poll, for people to vote? It will be great to see, how many people agree and disagree in terms of changing the aspects that you provided.
Tom2

Post by Tom2 »

SoBo wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 12:29 A topic for me for discussion, but why picks up someone who still uses this bug? Same wind conditions, for every player on WOT, will close the topic "windwaiters 'completely.
Plus, you've also used it today in Vikersund HS117 and Innsbruck HS128 at Weekly, so who's picking whom :lol: There's absolutely no one from top players who hadn't used it at least once. That's myth, and that's totally busted.

J4cob wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 17:13 Maybe do a poll, for people to vote? It will be great to see, how many people agree and disagree in terms of changing the aspects that you provided.
Sounds like a good idea. I need to think though about phrasing the question (and answers).

MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

In real life, once the green light is given, isn't the coach also watching the wind conditions and sometimes waiting a bit before giving the signal? I wouldn't see this as a problem, since everyone can decide to do this if they feel there is a chance for better conditions.
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
gtaman

Post by gtaman »

What about getting wind compensation, like irl?
In real life, once the green light is given, isn't the coach also watching the wind conditions and sometimes waiting a bit before giving the signal? I wouldn't see this as a problem, since everyone can decide to do this if they feel there is a chance for better conditions.
Exactly
Siatko

Post by Siatko »

I understand that sometimes you lose the podium for such a reason. I also understand that it sometimes causes an imbalance in the jumps, but I would also like to point out that it works both ways, because usually during online competitions we don't have a situation that e.g. in qualification we have a 1.2 wind upwind, then in the first round we also have a 1.2 wind upwind, but usually it's slightly decreasing or it's getting stronger since then, and because of such a change during the whole competition we would have e.g. poor conditions because you wouldn't be able to hunt for some nice conditions. I would like to appeal to people who insult, call names and despise waiting people so much to learn how to play with them, because if I'm not mistaken, you can wait online for 10 years and it still bothers you, instead of accepting it? Everyone can see when such a waiter once or twice stands on the podium thanks to it, but I, being a waiter, it's a fact that I had such competitions where I won or was on the podium, but usually I was even a position down and let us take risks, because starting at the end of the time is a risk and I want to do it and I can also concentrate better on the jump than starting with 5.0, and the wind is just a side effect.
J4cob

Post by J4cob »

gtaman wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 15:55 What about getting wind compensation, like irl?
Would be cool, but I would prefer it to Singleplayer - to first see how it works. Lots of players opinions from Discord are denying this potential option (wind compensation). I really only play most of DSJ in singleplayer just having fun, sometimes online if i have time (i also have work) - but seeing some new changes, like wind / gate compensation, or new flying styles that wouldn't cause any problems - would be dope, something refreshing. About removing gibbon I would say - I'm not playing with gibbon, sometimes it's annoying that you lose with those players but it's just a game, it can stay or be fixed - i don't have opinion on that, that should relay on top players from DSJ to make their opinions, polls. Tom i'm up to refreshement if you ask me 8) but as I said, i'm not an "OG" online player, so the decision should relay on most of the TOP players from the community. Cheers, and HNY :wink:
miecznik140

Post by miecznik140 »

I will answer briefly. I am against. Everyone has these 5s and use these 5s as they please. Or maybe someone goes for tea or needs a drink, and 5 seconds of waiting is not enough for him, and he has no intention of jumping in bad conditions.

Yes, I used tnalslator
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

MikesCZ wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 11:34 In real life, once the green light is given, isn't the coach also watching the wind conditions and sometimes waiting a bit before giving the signal? I wouldn't see this as a problem, since everyone can decide to do this if they feel there is a chance for better conditions.
That is exactly why wind shouldn't be freezed on startgate. Thankfully the wind in DSJ4 isn't as big as in DSJ3, where even 3 seconds could give around 2 m/s more/less wind. Of course it can be still around 1 m/s in single jump, but the affect is not too big (depends naturally on hill size and altitude).

To be honest, there are currently more serious anomalies in game than 'wind waiting' (some of them could even have a little affect on jumpers who use these 5 or 10 seconds of green light...) and on them we should focus more at the moment... Should I present them?
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
Tom2

Post by Tom2 »

Maciejo-96 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 15:56 To be honest, there are currently more serious anomalies in game than 'wind waiting' (some of them could even have a little affect on jumpers who use these 5 or 10 seconds of green light...) and on them we should focus more at the moment... Should I present them?
Go ahead. Maybe in other topic though :)