[POLL] How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode?

General discussion about DSJ4.

How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode?

Poll ended at 05 Dec 2021, 23:05

It's a good change
72%
It's neither good, nor bad change
17%
It's a bad change
11%

Total votes: 18

Tom2

[POLL] How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode?

Post by Tom2 »

One of the changes applied inside 1.9.0 version, when studying carefully the changelog from https://www.mediamond.fi/dsj4/downloads/ website is:
Updated world cup qualification rules
The update abolished prequalification privilege for TOP10 players from general classification.

The prequalifiaction in online obviously meant, regardless of your jump in qualification, you already had a guaranteed 1st round appearance - which made the best rated players (usually 1700-1900 rating) largely benefit from that, especially during this year's Tour De DSJ 2021, where a record peak of 1998 was set by Paweł Wąchała, just behind him 1995 by Bartek Winczaszek, and also 6 more players (including myself) achieved 1900+ peak ratings this year.

No prequalification (PQ) in real ski jumping already exists since Summer Grand Prix 2017. Let's summarize it and write down all the advantages and/or disadvantages of that system inside the game. If I missed something, tell me down below - I'll add all the other reasons for/against that change.

ADVANTAGES
- it's more realistic, since the same rules exist in real ski jumping for over 3 years
- it gives more chances to players outside TOP10, since there are 40/50 places (respectively: Ski Flying/other hills) to qualify, instead of 30/40
- much less probability of TOP10 players, who messed up their jumps, meeting best players in qualification, when in KO mode

Xinitiao:
- it existed in real life to mitigate effects of unequal winds and no wind/gate compensations, in DSJ online the wind is equal so there is no need for PQ
- players aren't confused anymore why they are i.e. 48th and not qualified, unlike what they have seen on TV
- on dsj24.pl discord in a poll 66 players liked it, 20 didn't

DISADVANTAGES
- no reward for being inside TOP10 anymore: achieving peak ratings for top players might be tougher, since now you have to concentrate on all 3 jumps in competition

So, just out of curiosity, I've decided to create a poll. The question is: How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode? I would love to see an open discussion on that subject. Go ahead and tell me what you think :)
Last edited by Tom2 on 06 Oct 2021, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
DSJ3 TL: 7755.36m (#39), peak: 1325 (#490)
DSJ4 TL: 3550.97m (#3), online: 3506.29m (#11), peak: 1942 (#5)

DSJ3 PB: 318.88m (#19)
DSJ4 PB: 242.88m (#2)
Xinitiao

Re: [POLL] How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode?

Post by Xinitiao »

More advantages:
-it existed in real life to mitigate effects of unequal winds and no wind/gate compensations, in DSJ online the wind is equal so there is no need for pq
-players aren't confused anymore why they are i.e. 48th and not qualified, unlike what they have seen in tv
-on dsj24.pl discord in a poll 66 players liked it, 20 didn't

Tom2 wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 23:05 now you have to concentrate on all 3 jumps in competition
I'd also argue if this is a disadvantage :P
Lurker since 2001
Better player than Garrean (for around 25 minutes at a time until he tries harder)
Maciejo-96

Re: [POLL] How do you rate no prequalifying system in online mode?

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Tom2 wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 23:05 now you have to concentrate on all 3 jumps in competition
Imho there is no sense to call it as a disadvantage, unless jumper is used to skip qualifying jump...
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen