STEALING THE SENSE AND HEART OF THE GAME

General discussion about DSJ3.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STEALING THE SENSE AND HEART OF THE GAME

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Cvetko Stanisa wrote: Yes, you have missed our protest! If I know you're registered on http://dsj.airco.com.pl Find topic "What the hell ...." under "English forum" and read your own e-mails!
I still don't get your point. Is this somehow topical? I fixed this so called "sevo bug" two years ago and it was fixed to the next release after the bug was found.
Cvetko Stanisa

Post by Cvetko Stanisa »

Jussi Koskela wrote: II fixed this so called "sevo bug" two years ago and it was fixed to the next release after the bug was found.
Really? Good to know! Sevo-bug was found in ver 3.1.4 in June, 2006.

Next version was relesed 3.1.5 on 29.12.2006, a half year later. Your e-mail posted on me on 01.10.2006:
"The reason for the bug lies in the physics engine - in the way that the movement of the ski jumper and the collision to the ground is calculated. I could do a
quick and dirty hack to change the physics but that would make the new hill records uncomparable to the old ones anyway. "

Then on 26.11.2007 version 3.1.6 was relesed:

see Announcements on your forum - DSJ3 v1.6.0 will be released on November 26th!

"Bugs fixed:
-ctrl-r key combination works now on windows 95/98/ME to watch replays
-less false alarms on slowdown prevention (i.e. clock error)
-the online game stats won't get out of sync any more
-the rank of all ski jumpers are now shown properly in world cup
-cup autosave settings preserved when the cups are loaded"

And also on your forum topic How do you like the new version? - your answere to stefankrepper question on 23.12.2007:

"Well, the fact is that nothing has been changed in v1.6 which would affect the playability."

My oppinion sevo bug exist, but it is very hard to use it (almost impossible), because the game is to fast - sevo bug is possible to use only by low speed of the game! In any case, if you have realy fix it then was this not two years ago.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Cvetko Stanisa wrote:Really? Good to know! Sevo-bug was found in ver 3.1.4 in June, 2006.

Next version was relesed 3.1.5 on 29.12.2006, a half year later.

My oppinion sevo bug exist, but it is very hard to use it (almost impossible), because the game is to fast - sevo bug is possible to use only by low speed of the game! In any case, if you have realy fix it then was this not two years ago.
The bug was fixed in v1.5.0. in 2006, exactly two years ago. Though, the hill records were reseted only 1 year later for v1.6.0.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Severin wrote:Who misses the players like Roman Karwat, Matej Novak, Drazen Feric?

i do, a lot to be honest...
it was the community since the beginning, and it was quite a fun to have a stock of people who played the game for this long time... but you can't change it anyway...
Old slowdowners is it not? Another myth is that "everybody" used slowdown in v.1.4/1.5, so it's supposed to have been sort of ok. (Strange kind of argument too, but that's a different discussion). Well, the fact is that many of us never did, and it came as a shock to us when we discovered that a lot of players actually cheated. I guess those of us who are not old cheaters/slowdowners ourselves feel different about this matter, at least I do: If those guys don't want to come back and play without slowdown, I don't care. I never cared for cheaters.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Grufugl wrote:Old slowdowners is it not? Another myth is that "everybody" used slowdown in v.1.4/1.5, so it's supposed to have been sort of ok. (Strange kind of argument too, bt that's a different discussion).
Yep .. it's a different discussion, but YOU are starting it again.
Nobody said "it's ok, cause everybody does it" ... it wasn't ok, it was neccesary if you wanted to fight for a place on top ... regrettably! And if you were really interested in jumping DSJ on a high level you've found every information about this fact (the reasons, the fact itselve and howto do it ...) in all DSJ-forums.

When version 1.6 came out with better cheating-prevention there was the unspoken "gentlements agreement", not to use this tools anymore and beside a handful of players every is respecting that IMHO an that's a really huge step forward!
sunset_rider

Post by sunset_rider »

I read the complete thread and enjoyed it. I do not really have the time to get one of the WRs, but I would really like to see how much better than me other players are. I mean not cheaters, but real hard training players.

The same that applies to doping cycling pros applies to the WR holders who seem to be too good to be real. Severin outlined it in exactly the way I mean it:
Severin wrote:
And I totally agree with Jussi... Until there is ABSOLUT proof that Pfleger or Javluvka is cheating it's senseless to ban them... just come to think of the consequences... if anybody in the future will set WRs that will look incredible, Jussi will have to ban them too, that will make everything the game is about ridiculous, because then it's all just in the eyes of the spectator if someone is cheating or not...
It does not really make sense to ban someone who has not been tested "positive". Instead, I put forward the idea of an online record list as someone did in the other topic before. If they are both so well in playing DSJ, they will also be great online. Otherwise the problem is solved in a fair way without banning anybody.

What do you say, Jussi?
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Torsten wrote:
Grufugl wrote:Old slowdowners is it not? Another myth is that "everybody" used slowdown in v.1.4/1.5, so it's supposed to have been sort of ok. (Strange kind of argument too, bt that's a different discussion).
Yep .. it's a different discussion, but YOU are starting it again.
Nobody said "it's ok, cause everybody does it" ... it wasn't ok, it was neccesary if you wanted to fight for a place on top ... regrettably! And if you were really interested in jumping DSJ on a high level you've found every information about this fact (the reasons, the fact itselve and howto do it ...) in all DSJ-forums.

When version 1.6 came out with better cheating-prevention there was the unspoken "gentlements agreement", not to use this tools anymore and beside a handful of players every is respecting that IMHO an that's a really huge step forward!
Sorry Torsten, for loosing my temper a bit. This is history now anyway. I certainly agree with you that 1.6 and the agreement among most players to abandon slowdown was a huge step forward! And I am happy to see EVERY old player playing if he has left those methods and now play "clean".
techman

Post by techman »

Without being a big google-god i found AND ran several programs which are able to slow down the latest version of dsj without problems, so dont tell me that nobody is cheating.

With these news, I just deleted DSJ3 from my computer.
roman13

Post by roman13 »

I totaly agree with the others....Its not possible to jump so huge jumps. everday im so angry about this because that what the cheaters do is not the sense of this game.everybody should have the same chances to jump a wr WITHOUT any helps. I think it would be better to delate all this unbelievable records...........
roman13

Post by roman13 »

the best thing would be that wr`s could only achieve in online modus, what do you think about it?
techman

Post by techman »

youll have to pay for online mode, right?
roman13

Post by roman13 »

yes
techman

Post by techman »

thats ghey than.
lukasz2888

Post by lukasz2888 »

What about creating the system that would send records, but with replays, so everybody could download them and see if there were any bugs or something? Maybe it would solve the problem?