Online Rating bug

General discussion about DSJ3.
EyTschej

Online Rating bug

Post by EyTschej »

Since there is no possibility to to jumps during online tournaments when you don't qualify or only make it to the first round, I've come up with a workaround. There's always some players who fail to hit the READY button, so it takes an awful long time before your next jump if you don't make it to the finals and you totally lose your flow. Therefore, I simply disconnect and do 3 or 4 solo jumps (can be easily done while players have to wait for the 10 second-countdown in the lobby to count down because there's always someone who doesn't hit the READY button).

Now, today I've realised that there's a bug when you leave the competition after you're already out of it: You lose about 30 points! So even when I was #31, I would lose 30 points ... just as if I didn't even qualify! This doesn't make any sense. Besides: Some players have disconnects that are totally out of their control.

Once a player is out of the competition, the system should record his final position (be it #67 or #34 - whatever). That's basically what happens in reality. If you fail to make it to the final round, you are free to leave. The FIS doesn't punish an athlete for this, so I don't see any wrong behaviour in leaving a single online competition early when I'm already out of it. Therefore, this is clearly a bug to me that I would be seen as the last in the competition and lose more than 30 points when I'm actually #31 or #34 or something.

Well, at least I now know why I fell down more than 100 points with only 3 or 4 bad competitions, but this issue needs to be fixed. Since there is no feature to do the "missing jumps" online in order not to lose your form, you really have no other choice but to disconnect and do a couple of jumps in offline mode. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm not the only player who makes 3 or 4 jumps while the online competition still goes on. So this issue basically affects all players.

I never liked the rating system. Now after I know this ... I don't really wanna say what exactly I think of this rating system. :(
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

That's not a bug, it's a feature... :wink:
A problematic situation arises if you leave after finishing your own jump but when some other players are still jumping. It's not possible to know at that moment if they will win or lose you or if some fallen player will win you because of the 95% rule. I have to calculate the change of your rating immediately, because you could be joining other server right away.
Leaving the competition would of course work if the round is already finished..
This could change in the future, but is not on high priority.
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

I basically only leave once I'm already on a rank on which I'm out. In regards to quickly joining another server: How about blocking entrance to other game servers while the last competition a player competed in is still running?

Another solution, of course, would be the possibility of practise jumps for players who are out ;)
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog