Team contests for DSJ3 Online

General discussion about DSJ3.
EyTschej

Team contests for DSJ3 Online

Post by EyTschej »

Jussi ... is it technically possible to start a game room for DSJ3 online in which team contests could be held?

The idea would be that each nation could have 2 (or 3) teams of 4 players each. There could be a weekly tournament or maybe a monthly tournament for example. In order to qualify for the teams, players would have to enter the weekly Nation Cup of their country. The best 4 players of the NC qualify for their first national team for the following team contest, players 5 to 8 qualify for their second national team.

I think, besides some new excitement, these team contests could also freshen up the Nation Cup events. The results should not have any impact on the single player's rating, of course. There would be a special team ranking. Also, there really shouldn't be too many national teams (2 or max 3) so that it's something special when you actually qualify for your national team through your country's Nation Cup event.

So ... any feedback, thoughts? Suggestions?
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

My idea for the online team cup has been that there would be a personal qualification for each hill, from which the 4 best players of each country go to the national team #1, the 4 next players go to the national team #2, etc. This way the teams would consist of the best representatives for each hill and it wouldn't matter if someone drops out from the game during the tournament.

P.S. Don't consider this as a promise to implement the online team cup mode. It's a big feature, which will take significant amount of time to implement.
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

I understand your idea, but that would actually kill the thrill of a team contest. If it's always simply the four best players of the same country on the same hill, then this wouldn't leave room for failure. This would be as if the IOC would give Austria the gold medals even before the Olympic team competition because they clearly have the best jumpers, but the big question for everyone is: Will the 4 jumpers succeed in all 8 jumps or will someone make a mistake and open the door for Germany, Norway or Finland?

I just think that a team cup would be more exciting if the teams would have the same 4 players all the way through. Otherwise it would be rather pointless anyway since the Polish team would always win on each hill. That's the big problem with your idea, Jussi: You would easily scare away any other nation than Poland. However, if there's room for failure, maybe on some hills another nation could get a surprise win. If you always take the 4 best jumpers per hill, then it's always gonna be Poland at #1 ...
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog
Jan Šterba

Post by Jan Šterba »

List of teams which could participate in this: POL, CZE, FIN, NOR, AUT, GER, SLO and probably CRO, so it's 8 teams and that's i think enough for Andy's idea :)
EyTschej

Post by EyTschej »

We could bascially have two game rooms for team contests - one for Jussi's idea, one for mine. The team contests then could change on a weekly basis. One week Jussi's idea, one week my idea. The basic question is simply, if Jussi could implement such team contests technically.
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog