New takeoff technique

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ3.
Tarpoon

New takeoff technique

Post by Tarpoon »

First of all I think this is a great game! It is much better than the crap from RTL :).
I have a suggestion for a different takeoff technique.
Right now you have click both mouse buttons at the same time, but I don't think this gives justice to the most important part of the jump.

Instead, I would like to see a more fluid takeoff where you would not even use the mouse buttons. The idea is to move the mouse in an angle up and to the right, where the angle determines the position of the jumper after the takeoff. A flat takeoff, when moving the mouse mostly to the right would preserve speed, but height would be lost. And opposite, moving the mouse mostly up would gain the jumper height by the cost of speed in the x direction.

The jumpers sitting position could also be adjusted by moving the mouse in the beginning of the in-run.

As in real skijumping, depending on the size of the hill, different angles must be used, smaller hills require more height, and larger hills require more conservation of speed.

This, combined with the correct timing would put more skill into the takeoff.
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

I assume you're jumping with the F2 view. Did you think about other camera angles, such as the default F1? Surely it's harder to execute there.
Tarpoon

Post by Tarpoon »

Yes, I use F2. I think it is easier to time the takeoff from this view. But the movement of the mouse would still be the same, though it would be easier to visualize the takeoff from the side.
This method would also make it more difficult to cheat...