I've been playing from months with DSJ2 and Vista, and couldn't succeed untill tomorrow. Finally I got it working. It works 100% smooth on my machine.
I checked this solution on XP also, and it works too, with 100% accurate sound (which was a problem for me so far). So for those, who want to get rid of sound lags in XP I also suggest that you give a try to following procedure.
Notice: If you fill messed with following description just download and try http://www.sendspace.com/file/skho3o
. Archieve contains of FREEWARE dosbox and DEMO of DSJ, so it doesn't violate the licenses. You run the DSJ with dsj.bat.
1. I believe you need quite modern PC. The fact that it handles Vista should mean that your PC is good enough. The feedback from people trying on older machines would be appreciated. I tried on machines with 1.8GHz+ core with luck.
2. You need to download and install a DOSBox, which is a freeware. Here is the link for Windows download: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
3. You need to configure DOSBox. This is the crucial moment. You should go to the Start Menu, locate DOSBox, where you should have a shortcut for Dosbox.conf. You edit it, and pay attention to following lines:
Cycles is crucial value. The cycleup and cycledown is an amount of cycles the machine speeds up or slows down when pressing CTRL+F11 or CTRL+F12, you can place there whatever you want, since it doesn't influence the final effect.
4. You start a Dosbox and run DSJ. In order to do it, you should mount the folder with dsj to a dosbox c:. For example, afer running DosBox you type in a black window:
mount c: "c:\Program Files\DSJ2"
if your DSJ2 is in c:\Program Files, and then just run the executable:
5. Last but not least - if you don't have registered copy of DSJ, or your copy is cracked, you go to http://www.mediamond.fi/dsj2/buy/
and pay 6 EUR for hours of joy (if you don't have PayPal account find a friend who does). Please notice, that 6 EUR is a cost of one cinema ticket, which gives only two hours of joy.
If you are not satisfied with effect, you should play with cycles value. I found the best between 80000 and 150000, but I believe it depends on the machine. You can speed up the machine with CTRL+F12, and slow down with CTRL+F11. If you achieve desired effect switch to console window (ALT+TAB) and see the cycles value, then place it to dosbox.conf file.
Regards, and all the best with jumping in Deluxe Ski Jump 2.