Online tournament start lights

Discussion about online/offline tournaments.

What should be the time limit for starting the jumps in DSJ3 Online Tournaments?

15 seconds
3%
10 seconds
34%
5 seconds
63%

Total votes: 35

Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online tournament start lights

Post by Jussi Koskela »

The start light timing is adjustable since DSJ3 v1.7.0. The time limit for starting the jump used to be 15 seconds, but now it is 10 seconds by default as in real world cup competitions. Longer time limit gives you naturally a chance to visit fridge or wait for a better wind, but also makes the tempo of the game slower, and in some cases results uneven jumping conditions.
Please give your opinion.
Jani Oravisjärvi

Post by Jani Oravisjärvi »

Wind waiters are so much bashed nowadays that it looks clear that players want smaller time limit.

When wind is awful and rules say there is possibility to wait 10 seconds, it’s novice mistake to not wait. I’m tired to be blamed about it.
Schnitzel

Post by Schnitzel »

I think 5 or 10 sec is ok for Game Speed.

I am the same oppinion like Jani, its ok to wait if the wind is very worse. On some conditions maybe this is like jumping with random winds, but at least after 40 hills the best will win.

I voted for 5 sec to speed it up a little.
Hills won in WC: 43
mis

Post by mis »

I think I voted 5 secs when this poll first came up about half a year ago but I must admit that I am more than satisfied with the 10secs that has been now.

The change from the old 15secs has been a significant improvement for game speed, especially in marathons.
Still, just for curiosity I would like to see what a 5secs tournament would look like.

I hope Jussi would throw in a randomly chosen WC with 5secs start light that would be announced for example :
***WC Wednesday Tournament will start in 30 mins, NOTE: 5secs start light today***

Why not.... it would be fun for all of us to see what it would look like :D
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

As I understand it, shorter time limit will also reduce the possibility for cheating online with slowmo? That's a bonus :wink:
onkelsmerte

Post by onkelsmerte »

Grufugl wrote:As I understand it, shorter time limit will also reduce the possibility for cheating online with slowmo? That's a bonus :wink:

Now that would own :)

It could have been 15 or as its now 10. Im fine with any off them. But honestly....5 seconds is abit to slow quick. I like to use the option to wait.
mis

Post by mis »

Grufugl wrote:As I understand it, shorter time limit will also reduce the possibility for cheating online with slowmo? That's a bonus :wink:
Yes, that was actually the biggest reason for me as well why I voted 5secs when the poll came up here. That's probably the best cheat detector available for online mode at the moment.

On the other hand it is fairly easy to miss a jump totally with only 5secs, the focus has to be spot on or people end up with a 0,00 and a lot of spammy *** in the chat :roll:

Still, as mentioned earlier , I'm in for some 5sec tournaments just to find out what it looks like.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

I see there are good arguments for keeping it at 10 sec's. If one would like to speed things up a bit, I am sure it would help better to reduce waiting time in between the jumps. Some people just never press ready! :wink:
mis

Post by mis »

Grufugl wrote:I see there are good arguments for keeping it at 10 sec's. If one would like to speed things up a bit, I am sure it would help better to reduce waiting time in between the jumps. Some people just never press ready! :wink:
Good point! The "intro" while waiting for next hill could definetly be shortened to 5secs. The only thing to catch up from there is looking for who jumps with a big Q and that's important only during wed,sat and marathon.
By shortening that a normal 40/40 would last approx 5mins shorter to complete and non-jumpers will be autokicked faster 8)
Michal Micka

Post by Michal Micka »

5 second is too fast, i vote for classic 10 seconds.
Jani Novak

Post by Jani Novak »

10 seconds is excelent solution. It is according to rules. 5 secs is really to short, it is very easy to miss the jump in that time....especially when kids disturb me, he he.
No matter how far you jump, you can still jump 1 cm further.