Winds

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
pikuvava

Winds

Post by pikuvava »

Can winds be different in different sections so this can happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0fLpZmo1ao
Why i like DSJ? Its Best SKI JUMP SIMULATOR EVER!
¨
nanucha

Re: Winds

Post by nanucha »

I also would like to have, wind from different DIRCTION in parts off hill. Sometimes - not always - It can be random. I think that this is not difficult to implement.
We're see at this year Ski Flying championships that this wind is so real...
From that day (20.02.1994) I LOVE ski jumping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKuWuP ... =spoon03jp
Metsi

Post by Metsi »

nanucha wrote:I also would like to have, wind from different DIRCTION in parts off hill. Sometimes - not always - It can be random. I think that this is not difficult to implement.
We're see at this year Ski Flying championships that this wind is so real...
But the wind indicator would be totally annoying i think.
If it would change like e.g. in Vikersund, it would be too distracting for jumping i think.
...(maybe we could add and optional ON/OFF button for the wind indicator?)

Then again, it would be nice to have wind gusts implemented. Even from the same direction.
If such a gust would occur e.g. once every 50 jumps, te records would vary a lot more i think.

@Jussi
Can you tell us if you're even considering programming some wind gusts?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Different wind conditions in different parts of the hill would hinder me making the CPU players the way I have been planning to.
nanucha

Post by nanucha »

but..... I want CPU player for a year, but now new ski jumping hills (with interesting deatils) and different wind coditions (i think that this is possible to do it with CPU player for a year)

We want more jumping, and more hills - in interesting look and variety conditions.

Jussi, we were pay for this game... so if this forum is exist, we can tell you what we want?
Last edited by nanucha on 28 Feb 2012, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
From that day (20.02.1994) I LOVE ski jumping:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKuWuP ... =spoon03jp
TPo

Post by TPo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Different wind conditions in different parts of the hill would hinder me making the CPU players the way I have been planning to.
You could make it so that the wind is generated before the jump, not on the fly. Then just take the average and scale the jump length based on that.
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Averaging the wind could give quite different results.
Metsi

Post by Metsi »

True, i did not think about the cpu players in this matter.
What about implementing the more varied wind in online mode only? (of course only if there are separate record lists for online/offline scores). This way the online records would be a bit better i think, and that would suit most of the 'record hunting' opponents ;)
Would it force 2 totally separate engines for each mode or is it a matter of a few slight changes?
TPo

Post by TPo »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Averaging the wind could give quite different results.
Then there should finally be a record-hunt mode, where CPU players can't be used and the wind is actually realistic rather than unsurprising and boring like it's now. I think this kind of wind would suit online too, creating more challenge and larger differencies in the results.
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup