Changing of Wind conditions

General discussion about DSJ3.
bioLarzen

Post by bioLarzen »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
bioLarzen wrote: Is there something that might be affected by how my PC works or something like that?
The wind randomizer is not hardware dependant, so I really can't see any reason why the wind would work differently.
Then I really don't know... It really must be an error in the Matrix :)

(I played again, after long, 6 or 7 competitions and there was one where the wind was preferable for a longer period of the time, in 3 cases it was tail wind all thru except for 8-10 jumps (out of 110, remember), in the rest there was the familiar preferable/tolerable wind in the beginning turning to tailwind and staying so ever after (save a few jumps). I regret not taking a screenshot of the very last event, where everyone had 15-20 meters shorter jumps in the second round than in the first - but that's really not out of the ordinary, i know, happens IRL every now and then, just looked good :)))
Frode

Post by Frode »

bioLarzen wrote:
Frode wrote:Just to put an end to this question....Take a screendump of every jump and Mr Jussi will see what we are talking about. Cause some place on the road the tread did go missing!
I'm talking of well above 2 or 3 thousand jumps. I played 2-3 competitions a day and did it pretty much every day for like at least one and a half year. One competiton had around 80 jumpers which means around 110 jumps per competition. that would add up to something like (if we allow that i didn't play every single day) 60 000 jumps. (I'm pretty sure it was more than that, but it's not the point.) You surely don't expect me to take and upload or attach that many screenshots :)))

With that stock of jumps behind me I think I can say that I have a base to stand on and speak from. Belive me, if I say that there is something suspiciuous with the wind when I play the game on my PC, there really is something. Jussi''s chart indicates that the wind is really random - both head and tailwind. and I, of course, belive that he, on his PC got this result. But, first, that doesn't mean that we can't both be right, plus while he simulated his events I really played them - that, of course does not, very probably mean anything though.

And last: I hope you don't think I played the game for years like mad just to prove it's not good... I loved and still love the game - why would I come here and fake a problem that doesn't exist? What would be the reason?

What Jussi tried to say was that the wind is average.I say its not cause I`ve and other have noticed that during 32 hills there is bakcwind in 75-80% of them.
I havent mention a word about U taking screendump but I say WE could do that when er play online.
bioLarzen

Post by bioLarzen »

Frode wrote:What Jussi tried to say was that the wind is average.I say its not cause I`ve and other have noticed that during 32 hills there is bakcwind in 75-80% of them.
I havent mention a word about U taking screendump but I say WE could do that when er play online.
OK, I misunderstood you.

My bad. Sorry.
Tosy

Post by Tosy »

cmon its ok i mean there will be alot of Cheaters here to say that i breaked Slovenia Record...I mean it would be easy to break it if the wind is south with 5m/s
flyer

Post by flyer »

omg...If i search for front wind i get like 20 hills and 1 front wind :? and then after that i give up and i think that damn i think i uninstall dsj3 :?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

In this picture, I've marked around the kind of wind that is fun. The wind that is not within the red lines, is annoying. Allow me to elaborate.

When jumping offline, you mainly do so to set records - either personal records or national-/world records if you're in that league. And when attempting to set a new record, it's quite annoying to se the sturdy 3ms headwind turn into a limp 1ms sidewind. This happens often, way too often! I'm not a metrologist so I don't know if this is realistic or not, but for me this game isn't only about realism, it's most about fun. Extreme levels of fluctuating wind conditions takes away some of that fun.

I'm not saying that the game should only have the kind of wind that I've marked off in the image above, but when you start a game the wind should stay more or less as it is until you're finished with that hill. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of dsj-players will immediately hit esc when the headwind disappears. Then restart, restart, restart etc until there's a nice headwind again. So why not make headwind more commond, and less fluctuating?
bioLarzen

Post by bioLarzen »

I don't see why there could not be a fixed wind option, where the direction and strength of the wind could be set (sharp or within a certain range). And, let's say, results with fixed wind conditions could not qualify for the highscore and record lists - I really wouldn't give a damn, I'm not going to get even close to these lists anyways :) But that would save, I think I can say, lots of us a great deal of annoyment.
So, if you're after realism, you can set the wind conditions to random which would be just like it is now - random :). But, if you'd sacrfice the randomness of real weather for consistency, you could have fixed wind conditions.

I guess that would be OK for everyone.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

I agree with Thomas on this. And when it comes to realism (still speaking of offline jumping), remember that in real world competitions they stick to rather narrow wind "corridors" (like e.g. -1 to +1 m/s) and they restart the round if the wind conditions change to much. So the way dsj offline functions now, it is allmost impossible to "arrange" a "fair" competition and get through a round with 30 jumpers - even with 10 jumpers you will have a hard time.

An improvement of this would be welcomed for the player who sits alone offline chasing personal records, of course. But dsj could also be a good offline game for several persons at home (family, friends) who want to compete together, if this problem with vast wind variations was to be fixed.
bioLarzen

Post by bioLarzen »

Grufugl,

now imagine my events with 80-84 jumpers...
AJ

Post by AJ »

make it possible to beat personal records in training mode I say, then it will be a lot easier just to restart your jump if you see the wind conditions are bad.
Grufugl

Post by Grufugl »

Thomas' marking on Jussis graph is really very good. The way I see it, it shows that both Jussi and those who say that the wind is usually bad is "right" in their own way. I guess Jussi is right about the wind being equally distributed around the average zero. What Thomas' marking shows, is that what is conceived as "good conditions" is not something like 50% of the total. It is just a small slice of the cake, so to speak. Therefore, most of the time the wind conditions will be outside this slice - and be conceived as "bad conditions".

(Personally I feel that the bigger problem lies in the fact that the wind conditions change or vary too much from jumper to jumper though).
bioLarzen

Post by bioLarzen »

I agree. If all the jumpers have about the same wind conditions - good or shit - it's OK.