First impressions...

General discussion about DSJ4.
pywy25

Post by pywy25 »

The game is really nice :) Good job Jussi, it was worth to wait for it ;) The way of jumping is different that it was in DSJ3, so I find it hard to make good jumps now (at this moment my records are: Lahti 112.5m, Lille 119), but I think practice will make perfect :). I have some remarks:
- when the jumper lands for example on 60m, he starts to brake too early
- the crowd is too constant and isn't appropriately dressed :P
- I have never noticed a Russian judge in real skijumping
- there is still no option to hide the game by pressing the windows-button
- I find the mouse sensitivity too high even at 1.0 (but maybe I will get used with this)
- maybe some new sounds? :)
Paweł Wlazło
DSJ3 TL: 7704.92m POR: 1390
DSJ4 B2 TL: 596.83m POR: 1298
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I'm planning to go record some real ski jumping sounds... Already bought a nice surround recorder.
The audience will also have winter clothes in the final version. And I will expand the scale of the mouse sensitivity.
pajkul

Post by pajkul »

Could you answer my question from the bottom of page 3?
crystal

Post by crystal »

first impression: really great, more difficult than DSJ3 for a start, but seems really realistic to me + I enjoyed the first batch of jumps a lot!
Have bought + registered already, however one small question: so far I set up 3 competitors for the world cup + when jumping hill records, all are listed as 'default player' and not with their chosen name (as it was the case in DSJ3) - is that on purpose so far + will it be changed in the full version?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

pajkul wrote: And the most important thing is: are you going to put any REAL hills to the final version of the DSJ4? Or just some fictional ones? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just asking.
Yes I'm planning to include real hills. The ski flying hills also work pretty well with the current physics, though I'll still have to do some minor adjustments.
nox

Post by nox »

very nice so far. When u get used to it, the mouse sensity is fine.. (1.0)
TPo

Post by TPo »

This is REALLY HARD. Just broke the K-Point in Lillehammer, the HS is going to be a challenge :)
Total Length: 5353.38 m // 7749.06 m // 1603.92 m
Total Length: 14706.36 m
--
Winner of Ski-Stars World Championships (large hill) // 2nd of Ski-Stars World Championships (team) // Winner of Ski-Stars DSJ2 Cup
Severin

Post by Severin »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
Severin wrote: Btw: is it normal that my jumper is at the takeoff invisible for a short period of time?
Sounds strange. What graphics card do you have?
crappy laptop onboad graphics... Intel 965 Chipset Graphics Media Accelarator something...
Lord_Shaitan

Post by Lord_Shaitan »

What just came to my mind... Jussi:

-I think some lines or marks beyond HS would be appreciated (on 145m or 150m in Lile for example).

-Just before beta relase I was thinking about implementing some different jumping style to choose; e.g. optimal small degree between body and skis = low fly height | optimal big degree between body and skis = big fly height. All with own characteristic; e.g. first style would be better in front wind and the 2nd one in tail wind. I don't know if such an implementation is possible
banan123

Post by banan123 »

2,5 m/s is the highest wind?
aaaaaaaa
bulwa11

Post by bulwa11 »

Jussi is there going to be Vikersund HS225 K-195 ? ;)
Kresimir Dolenec

Post by Kresimir Dolenec »

Very interesting game. So similar to dsj3 and so diferent in gameplay. Challenging! It will take some time to get used to. Also much easier to play with f2 view (may be will help me with dsj3 :) )
yorkers

Post by yorkers »

The game is fantastic. In my opinion is harder than DSJ 3 but jumps give me more satisfaction than jumps in latest versions Deluxe Ski Jump. Great work Jussi :)
Unfortunately, we have just Lahti and Lillehammer, I would see in next beta version Zakopane :)

My the best jumps today - Lillehammer 134m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dbZwPy0L4
Lahti 126m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwojrerI4Vc
dzamper

Post by dzamper »

Zakopane should have two times more spectators than the number of spectators set in the options :D Also, you should photograph some people so they can be used as spectators, I don't want bunch of Jussi (I guess) clones staring at me ;)

Deluxe Ski Jump 4 is great.
Risen

Post by Risen »

I've just made an account to post here (like many other people, I guess).

The game is great. It's a very big step forward since DSJ3! Everything is great for me except few things I will mention below.

(bugs moved to the proper thread)
  • While watching a replay, it would be nice to rewind it a bit instead of skipping to the beginning. I mean missing rewind button.
  • During a World Cup, daytime of the competition should be adjustable. Weather should stay random.
  • Training mode should allow start gates (high, normal, low) too. Records doesn't matter anyway.
  • In DSJ3 I have made 256 fictional jumpers from many countries all around the world (eg. Oceanian and African). All countries' flags should be included.
  • Also country should be chosen from a list of all of them, not random, 3-chars combination.
  • What about saving color schemes templates? It's exhausting to set colors for every jumper separately, especially when there is many of them.
  • Maybe blood on a snow after some crashes is a weird idea, but why not? Possible to turn off in settings.
  • You said you'll include real hills. But all the joy of many was taking 300 meters long jumps. You really should include at least one fictional hill allowing us to do it again (or even better!).
  • Another, really small one would be great too.
  • And please keep passive "take off" stabile and landable.
That's all what I have noticed today, after 2 hours of testing. I really enjoyed it! Thanks for entertaining us for 12 years! I hope for more.
By the way, today was first Adam Małysz's victory since 03.2007. What a great day for Polish ski jumping fans. ^^
Last edited by Risen on 22 Jan 2011, 23:12, edited 4 times in total.