Adding more characters to naming

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
nexen84

Adding more characters to naming

Post by nexen84 »

Hello.

This question is obviously for The Creator :) Jussi, is it possible to add more characters to naming players? Now we have 24 characters and I would like to have, like, 30-32 for my purposes (around 40 would be most welcome!).

cheers!
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adding more characters to naming

Post by Jussi Koskela »

The length is limited so that the names fit in the stats screens. On 4:3 monitors longer names would cause layout problems.
nexen84

Post by nexen84 »

OK, thanks for the answer. I'll tell why I would need such thing - I'm working currently on ski jumpers list, which would sort jumpers by country, competition and skill. It looks like this:

So I have like 300+ jumpers sorted by country (I don't have to look for example for 70 Polish jumpers scattered around several pages) and in which competition they participate and of course how good they are (this is less important, but cool addon) :) The problem is, for longer names like Gregor Schlierenzauer or Kim Rene Eleverum Sorsell I have to use shortcuts in naming them which doesn't look nice (that's why in my current list, skill is not included - picture above is just an example).
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »

Great idea Nexen84!
nexen84

Post by nexen84 »

OK. I've been analyzing many possibilities and came to one conclusion. In every resolution higher than 1024x768 (seriously, who's using such low res monitors in 2014?), you can easily add 10 or more characters to naming with only one little change:
Move "country" column to the beginning, and/or do not use country code next to the flag. This is, how it looks now (all has been taken in 1024x768, in higher horizontal res, there is even more space for characters):

This is how it might look with country code:

This is how it might look without country code - just flag:

This simple change will allow for as many characters as possible. As far as I checked, all other places with names (player edit box, hill records box, players list) can contain up to ~33 characters even with 1024 pixels of horizontal res. Now, 32-33 characters would do nicely. :) Maybe, if it's not a large amount of work, You could think about it for 1.5.3 ? :)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Write MMMMMMM... as the name and it's pretty much wider :)
The narrowest space is in the KO panel during the jump, I think.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

What about this? (sorry I am not master of Photoshop :lol:)
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
nexen84

Post by nexen84 »

Jussi Koskela wrote:Write MMMMMMM... as the name and it's pretty much wider :)
That's funny :P But it's also true, such characters as M or W take more space.

OK, so if it really is impossible, than maybe it would be possible to implement diffrent types of sorting? I mean only in "Select Competitors". Right now, jumpers are sorted by name. Maybe you can add an option for sorting by country & name?
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

nexen84 wrote:sorting by country & name
Next great idea ;)
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen