Online Rating system

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
MikesCZ

Online Rating system

Post by MikesCZ »

Okay maybe I am the only one here but...

I don't like the current rating system, I guess it's something in my head but I jump like a boss in practice and when there are only few ppl online, but with more (wc with 60+ ppl for example) I am nervous in the qualifier round because I know that I will lose like 30 rating points if I screw up (which only leads to the fact that I indeed screw up the whole jump).

I know that rating doesn't really matter in this game but i am a competitive person so for me it is a big deal.

Rating system like in Trackmania where you gain points but not losing them is much more enjoyable in my opinion. Also as a Magic:the Gathering player I remember the old rating system (DCI) where you also lose points if you lost (which eventually led to situation where some guys with good rating stopped playing tournaments so they mantain their rating - ok this is not happening in DSJ but just saying) but then DCI system was cancelled and there are now planeswalker points system where you gain points for winning but cant lose them and the game is much more popular now, more ppl playing ("I needz the pointz...")

What do you think guys?
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Bartek Palewicz

Re: Online Rating system

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

MikesCZ wrote:I am nervous in the qualifier round because I know that I will lose like 30 rating points if I screw up
IMO you should be nervous, this is WC. You should think like "omg omg this is some serious shit aaah i need to win". How does Bardal feels on start gate (Stoch can get 2nd place in general WC)?
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Bartek Palewicz wrote:
MikesCZ wrote:I am nervous in the qualifier round because I know that I will lose like 30 rating points if I screw up
IMO you should be nervous, this is WC. You should think like "omg omg this is some serious shit aaah i need to win". How does Bardal feels on start gate (Stoch can get 2nd place in general WC)?
Well yeah sure, that's why almost every jumper shit their pants and finish 27. when they are in the lead position after 1st round for the first time in their career.

What I was trying to say was that losing rating is very discouraging. (the funny thing about this is that rating is really useless)
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Bartek Palewicz

Post by Bartek Palewicz »

MikesCZ wrote:Well yeah sure, that's why almost every jumper shit their pants and finish 27. when they are in the lead position after 1st round for the first time in their career.
And that's awesome :D
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Rating system like in Trackmania where you gain points but not losing them is much more enjoyable in my opinion.
If you couldn't lose rating, the people with highest rating would be the ones who have played the most, not the ones who are currently the strongest. That would be useless in my opinion.

Besides, current ratings are supposed to indicate how good you are as a competitive jumper, and that includes you nerves :) . If you keep failing at second round because you get nervous, you don't yet deserve the highest ratings. Same goes for falling more often than others or having worse style (like I do). All of those are things that should add up to the rating, because ratings measure average performance, not maximum.

Still, I agree that it's easier to lose points than to gain them. Not sure that's a problem though, makes it feel that much better when you finally reach that peak :) .