Windowed mode for DSJ4?

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
EliteAti

Windowed mode for DSJ4?

Post by EliteAti »

Hello Jussi!

I have googled this topic every once in a while and you did say there was no windowed mode available (3.5 years ago in this thread http://www.mediamond.fi/forum/viewtopic.php?t=887)
Are there any changes? It is not vital but it could be quite useful for people who prefer to run programs in windowed mode.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windowed mode for DSJ4?

Post by Jussi Koskela »

This is possible in principle. The basic problem is how the mouse focus should be handled without irritating the user too much. I.e. how does the player grant the mouse focus to DSJ4 and how can he/she revoke it. During the jump the cursor has to be hidden completely.

Should the cursor change to DSJ4 cursor whenever the player moves the Windows cursor to DSJ4 window? Or does this happen only after he/she clicks the DSJ4 window once? Then what would be the way to remove the mouse focus from DSJ4? And if no clicking is required to gain the mouses focus, can the game hide the cursor when the user is moving the cursor past the DSJ4 window and a jump has begun...
EliteAti

Post by EliteAti »

Maybe borderless windowed mode is possible then? Its basically playing as full screen and it eliminates the possibility of disabling mouse functioning in-game. League of legends uses this and is very good for people who like to stream their gameplay live as it fixes few problems which come with the streaming programs (xsplit, ffsplit etc) since they do not function properly with full screen. When a computer is under heavy load and you keep switching windows to change music, to chat etc. it eventually causes some programs (adobe) to crash. I havent seen such things happen with borderless window option yet. I might have misunderstood the question but i understand the problems which come with the traditional windowed mode option.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Ok, I thought that you wanted the windowed mode so that you could see other windows at the same time. Is there use for such a feature?
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Basically full screen mode starts to go out of fashion as the primary option for games. This is mainly because more and more gamers have 2 or more monitors. For a player with 1 monitor it does not have huge impact.
That's gotta hurt.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Zmaster wrote:Basically full screen mode starts to go out of fashion as the primary option for games. This is mainly because more and more gamers have 2 or more monitors. For a player with 1 monitor it does not have huge impact.
Any suggestions how the windowed mode should work with the mouse focus / hiding / capturing cursor?
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Are you familiar with the concept "Windowed(full screen)"? If dsj4 does not require x-axis, then y-axis wont go out of bounds when then "window" is same size as desktop resolution.

Otherwise I don't have any knowledge how to focus your cursor in games.
That's gotta hurt.
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

Zmaster wrote:Basically full screen mode starts to go out of fashion as the primary option for games. This is mainly because more and more gamers have 2 or more monitors.
You gotta be kidding me. Can you link to any trustworthy articles/statistics to back up this statement? I find it very hard to believe. No one I know makes use of freakin' TWO monitors (not talking about video professionals, designers etc). Only ones I've seen so far were hardcore gamers and ethusiasts who don't hesitate to fork out $5,000 for the latest technology, showing off their ultimate PCs at YouTube. Moreover, we're talking about an indie project with relatively small fan base.
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Martin Kafka wrote:
Zmaster wrote: No one I know makes use of freakin' TWO monitors (not talking about video professionals, designers etc)
Also poker players :) but still just a little fraction of PC users...
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Martin Kafka wrote:
Zmaster wrote:Basically full screen mode starts to go out of fashion as the primary option for games. This is mainly because more and more gamers have 2 or more monitors.
You gotta be kidding me. Can you link to any trustworthy articles/statistics to back up this statement? I find it very hard to believe. No one I know makes use of freakin' TWO monitors (not talking about video professionals, designers etc). Only ones I've seen so far were hardcore gamers and ethusiasts who don't hesitate to fork out $5,000 for the latest technology, showing off their ultimate PCs at YouTube. Moreover, we're talking about an indie project with relatively small fan base.
I didn't mean everyone nowadays has 2 or more monitors. I meant it is a growing fashion. Only statistics I have is my own experience from following competitive gaming scene and my gaming friends. I find it normal to upgrade to 2 monitors, even my wife has 2 and she isn't a hardcore gamer.

I only believe that 2 monitors will become more and more popular. Once you go dual, you never go back.. :)
That's gotta hurt.
Martin Kafka

Post by Martin Kafka »

Zmaster wrote:I didn't mean everyone nowadays has 2 or more monitors. I meant it is a growing fashion. Only statistics I have is my own experience from following competitive gaming scene and my gaming friends. I find it normal to upgrade to 2 monitors, even my wife has 2 and she isn't a hardcore gamer.
I only believe that 2 monitors will become more and more popular. Once you go dual, you never go back.. :)
Wow. Guess I've been living under a rock.
Thanks for the update ; )
Then again, "competitive gaming scene" has probably different standards than most PC users / casual gamers. Those guys are often packing some serious rigs, multi-monitor setup doesn't surprise me in this case.
But okay, I see your point. It seems to be very useful when multitasking and I can imagine it being more common in the future.
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

And yes Martin I agree that it might not be the most important feature to develop for DSJ at the moment.

And because I can: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2672/img1780ax.jpg My gaming throne ;)

Now I only need a better cam to take photos with :/
That's gotta hurt.