Windowed mode

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Rayy

Windowed mode

Post by Rayy »

Hey, I was having a couple of questions about a possible windowed mode in the game.
I have actually searched before posting this and I saw some valid points regarding windowed mode, I didn't feel like bumping these topics though as they were quite old. However I was wondering if there was any way to implement a borderless windowed mode or some way for you to be able to move the mouse outside the game window while in the menus. I have multiple monitors set up and running the game on one of them makes the rest of them pretty useless. I end up having to tab out between every few jumps to do various stuff before going back into the game, which in the long run is pretty tiresome.

I am aware that having an invisible mouse in the game makes it slightly hard to have the game in windowed. But I don't see how adding some sort of small cursor or something to notify the player where the mouse is in windowed mode would break anything. Still I would love to have the opportunity to at least try windowed mode and see if it was a sacrifice worth making. Any good reasoning for why it wouldn't work is appreciated.

Kind regards.
Metsi

Re: Windowed mode

Post by Metsi »

Window mode, if you ask me, would cause a lot more people trying to cheat. It would be really comfortable for them to change some parameters and check them almost live.
I think that would be the biggest risk ;-)
Rayy

Post by Rayy »

As I have no knowledge about the cheating, I don't really know how making it windowed would encourage it. I mean, if people really wanted to cheat they could probably pull off the same stuff as people would do in windowed, right?
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

I do watch streams / vods / youtube on my other screen while jumping. I can't find it too tiresome to tab out and back at all O.o
That's gotta hurt.
Metsi

Post by Metsi »

I don't know how the cheating stuff works too. I just figured it would be easier to cheat in a window mode :)

But now that Zmaster mendioned it, i think it could get usefull too. It's nice to watch skijumping and play dsj at the same time :)
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

But... Thats what i am already doing and I find it pretty simple.. :P So no need for a change really
That's gotta hurt.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

The game would anyway need to capture the mouse focus (=hide cursor) during the jump, so that you wouldn't be randomly clicking to other windows.
Rayy

Post by Rayy »

Zmaster wrote:But... Thats what i am already doing and I find it pretty simple.. :P So no need for a change really
It would be even easier though if you had windowed mode on, and for people with only one monitor it would be easier to change music playlists or reply to chat messages in windowed.
Jussi Koskela wrote:The game would anyway need to capture the mouse focus (=hide cursor) during the jump, so that you wouldn't be randomly clicking to other windows.
What if the cursor was visible though, just to the extent so people would know they didn't click outside the window. Would that cause any other problems?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

It can't be the player's responsibility to keep the mouse cursor away from other windows during the jump.
Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Rayy wrote:
Zmaster wrote:But... Thats what i am already doing and I find it pretty simple.. :P So no need for a change really
It would be even easier though if you had windowed mode on, and for people with only one monitor it would be easier to change music playlists or reply to chat messages in windowed.
To be honest in games where I can use windowed mode, I still use alt-tab to browse to the application I want to go. Usually its the last application used and for me its often slightly faster than start target it with my mouse. Overall too little improvement to be considered useful imho.
That's gotta hurt.