Landing physics

Ideas and suggestions for improving DSJ4.
Pete

Landing physics

Post by Pete »

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but I think that landings in the beta are totally unrealistic.

What I mean is that no matter how high the ski jumper flies, if you press the mouse buttons, he slowly descends down and lands safely. In reality it's totally opposite: when the skier decides to land and pulls his skis paralelly, he loses all lifting force and falls like a rock. Thus all the talk about the falls at long distances: 'If he pulled the jump longer, he could have landed it, but he freaked out, started landing too early and fell'.

I think that it would be great to have realistic landings like that, that also would make the game more challenging: to beat a hill record, one would have to go all the way and land at the last possible moment, landing too early at big distance = crash.
szymbar15

Post by szymbar15 »

Whoa, not so crazy! Landing in DSJ4 is like landing from 1-3, so we don't need to change a thing... And think about people, who jump over 150m! If Jussi will make this landing, the best jump would be 145m! I jump 148 in world cup! Landings are realistic :D I love these.
nintendere

Post by nintendere »

I agree with OP.
orsvend

Post by orsvend »

I also agree with OP. It should be harder to jump really long. Every aspect that is left to player skill will eventually make the game more fun. The harder the better IMO!
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

orsvend wrote:I also agree with OP. It should be harder to jump really long. Every aspect that is left to player skill will eventually make the game more fun. The harder the better IMO!
+1
Lord_Chrupek

Post by Lord_Chrupek »

IDEA !!!!

Ive just played with wind hack:P So you know, about landing at 200+ meters its totally unrealistic. Anyway, i dont like idea of invisible line, after which you fall instantly.

Now if you click landing button, jumper makes all movements automatic. What you thinking about controlling jumper after clicking landing button? For example: you jumped 143 in Lillehammer, so landing should be tricky. After clicking landing, and while jumper lands, you move mouse up, to compensate flatness. If you do that perfect - jumper makes perfect telemark. If you move mouse too slow, jumper crouches, or even fall.
Is that possible to implement such control Jussi?
pepsiman89

Post by pepsiman89 »

Lord_Chrupek wrote:IDEA !!!!

Ive just played with wind hack:P So you know, about landing at 200+ meters its totally unrealistic. Anyway, i dont like idea of invisible line, after which you fall instantly.

Now if you click landing button, jumper makes all movements automatic. What you thinking about controlling jumper after clicking landing button? For example: you jumped 143 in Lillehammer, so landing should be tricky. After clicking landing, and while jumper lands, you move mouse up, to compensate flatness. If you do that perfect - jumper makes perfect telemark. If you move mouse too slow, jumper crouches, or even fall.
Is that possible to implement such control Jussi?
theres this game... its called RTL ski jumping
Risto Salonen

Post by Risto Salonen »

Lord_Chrupek wrote:After clicking landing, and while jumper lands, you move mouse up, to compensate flatness. If you do that perfect - jumper makes perfect telemark. If you move mouse too slow, jumper crouches, or even fall.
Too complicated for the concept of DSJ.

I've already said before that standing jumps does not require any skill in 4.. Landing animations should be reworked and built up so that it's executed by a single mouse action (depending on landing type), requiring some timing skill.
Lord_Chrupek

Post by Lord_Chrupek »

pepsiman89 wrote: theres this game... its called RTL ski jumping
Theres no such thing in RTL. Actually worst thing in DSJ is landing, which is most similar to RTL.
I know there is here thinking RTL=crap, (which is true), but that doesnt mean that RTL hasnt some nice ideas implemented