Deluxe Ski Jump Forum

The Official Deluxe Ski Jump Forum
It is currently 11 Nov 2019, 22:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 15:12 
Offline

Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 18:52
Posts: 7
Location: austria
dear jussi. any thoughts about making dsj4 playable under linux? either native or by wine emulation. would be so great to play that game again and help testing it under linux. as your game is still in beta phase, maybe the implementation of linux supoort is a way to gain a larger community. and you can still earn money with selling the full game and let people play a demo version for free, like you are already doing..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 15:37 
Offline

Joined: 20 Jan 2011, 17:52
Posts: 177
Location: Poland
Wine doesn't emulate DirectX, but try Cedega.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 15:51 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 22 Jan 2007, 14:42
Posts: 2779
Location: Finland
DSJ4 almost works under Wine. The problem is that Wine is not supporting FFP vertex blending.
Somebody fix this bug! ;)
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6955

P.S. The custom patches on that page don't seem to work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 07:31 
Offline

Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 18:52
Posts: 7
Location: austria
Jussi Koskela wrote:
DSJ4 almost works under Wine. The problem is that Wine is not supporting FFP vertex blending.
Somebody fix this bug! ;)
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6955

P.S. The custom patches on that page don't seem to work.


sounds awesome jussi. the last entries from bugs@wine database seem to be quite promising concerning the vertex blending issue. at least they were actual, so we can hope that someone is working on a solution.

great work anyway. maybe i visit a buddy of mine and check out your demo on his s***ing windows computer.very well done to make it "nearly" playable via wine in beta state already. i hope that the full game also works on linux with wine support. i am really looking forward to test it on my system.

have you thought about promoting/announcing your demo a little bit at several linux forums, maybe those guys can also help with the wine problem?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 09:56 
Offline

Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 18:52
Posts: 7
Location: austria
original:
any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5jWNK98KUU

edit:
sry just saw the other post ...
hope that bug will be fixed in near future. really can't wait to test the demo on linux.
btw, do you know some kind of workaround concerning that bug jussi?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 10:34 
Offline

Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 12:23
Posts: 277
Location: Germany
hplgonzo wrote:
original:
btw, do you know some kind of workaround concerning that bug jussi?


I know a workaround: Install Windows Vista :wink: (NOT XP or 7 - they suck)

_________________
skill since 1337 ;)
Mein Sport-Blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 11:47 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 22 Jan 2007, 14:42
Posts: 2779
Location: Finland
hplgonzo wrote:
btw, do you know some kind of workaround concerning that bug jussi?

I'm hoping the Wine developers to fix the problem. It would take at least couple of weeks to make a workaround to DSJ4.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 00:45 
Offline

Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 21:17
Posts: 33
Hi, it's been quite a while ..

is there a solution now? Does it work with wine?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 17:25 
Offline

Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 21:17
Posts: 33
I just tried it on my laptop with ubuntu, (with wine), but I don't even get weird graphics, i just get a black screen when starting the game :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 14:41 
Offline

Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 19:04
Posts: 264
Location: Finland
Last time I tried was with Wine 1.5.16 (current version is 1.5.20) and it "worked" just like before, with the same old graphics bug. However, if it makes any difference, that was on OS X, not Linux.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 16:36 
Offline

Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 21:17
Posts: 33
hmm,I don't get it to run at all, just black screen.
I updated to newest ubuntu version, tried with wine and also with "playonlinux", but the outcome is the same...
Where is the trick?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 19:36 
Offline

Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 19:04
Posts: 264
Location: Finland
I don't think there's any trick, just basic tinkering as always with wine... :)

Are you running in virtual desktop (under winecfg)? Many games seem to need that to work (although dsj works for me even without it). Have you used any patches/winetricks/dll overrides? Which version of wine?

You could try to run setup.exe again. If it still doesn't work, you could check your console for error messages from wine.

Btw, all of my observations are for DSJ 1.2.1 and wine 1.5.16 or older. I'm too lazy to try and install 1.3 right now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 16:14 
Offline

Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 19:04
Posts: 264
Location: Finland
Has anyone tried DSJ 4 with Wine lately? Someone posted this at WineHQ for bug 6955:
Quote:
Great news!! It looks like that Henry sent a first patch for the implementation
of a vertex pipeline. There is hope that we see that bug soon fixed.

Obviously I didn't expect anything to work better than before (especially since it turned out that the only actual change so far seemed to be "wined3d: Introduce a wined3d_vertex_pipe_ops structure"), but I tried installing DSJ 4 1.4.4 anyway. Turns out it won't start at all now... Game installs fine but crashes immediately at start-up with "Clock Error". I've never had this happen before with DSJ 4, though it seems to be listed in the wine bug section for DSJ 3.

So... basically I'm wondering if this is caused by my Wine settings (I don't remember which settings I used last time to make it work) or by the new version of DSJ. I tried with a few different Wine versions, including the newest (1.5.31) and one that's supposed to work according to my above post from last year (1.5.16), but I got the same result with all of them. If this is indeed a new bug, what does the future look like for DSJ and Wine? Any hope of ever working?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 16:22 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: 22 Jan 2007, 14:42
Posts: 2779
Location: Finland
MJumper wrote:
Has anyone tried DSJ 4 with Wine lately? Someone posted this at WineHQ for bug 6955:
Quote:
Great news!! It looks like that Henry sent a first patch for the implementation
of a vertex pipeline. There is hope that we see that bug soon fixed.

Obviously I didn't expect anything to work better than before (especially since it turned out that the only actual change so far seemed to be "wined3d: Introduce a wined3d_vertex_pipe_ops structure"), but I tried installing DSJ 4 1.4.4 anyway. Turns out it won't start at all now... Game installs fine but crashes immediately at start-up with "Clock Error". I've never had this happen before with DSJ 4, though it seems to be listed in the wine bug section for DSJ 3.

So... basically I'm wondering if this is caused by my Wine settings (I don't remember which settings I used last time to make it work) or by the new version of DSJ. I tried with a few different Wine versions, including the newest (1.5.31) and one that's supposed to work according to my above post from last year (1.5.16), but I got the same result with all of them. If this is indeed a new bug, what does the future look like for DSJ and Wine? Any hope of ever working?

"Clock Error" means that the game thinks that it's not working in normal speed (i.e. it's a cheat prevention mechanism). Obviously the mechanism does not work as intended on Wine.
I'll check out if the game would now work otherwise on Wine and if there's something I can do to fix the clock testing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 18:19 
Offline

Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 19:04
Posts: 264
Location: Finland
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Strangely, however, I just got it to work :) : for some reason it started working after I ran winetricks directmusic (Wine logs complained about it so I gave it a go and it started). How could that be related to the clock error? Other winetricks I used were d3dx9 and vcrun6 (just randomly trying the most common ones), but it didnt start before I used directmusic.

Not surprisingly, the old graphics bug is still there. Frankly, I wonder if it will ever be fixed. Apparently that bug has been around for over six years and it seems to have somewhat low priority for the Wine project. I'm not even sure if that new code has anything to do with it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group