New Team Cup formula.

Discussion about online/offline tournaments.

New team cup formula

Yes
47%
No
47%
I'm not sure if it will be so attracitive, like you described it
7%

Total votes: 15

Szymon11

New Team Cup formula.

Post by Szymon11 »

Many of us are really fed up with jumping in Team Cup. Moreover, this tournament's frequency has declined in comparsion to other cups, which have maintained their attractivness. My statement is obvious; it is a loss of rating for me and many other players. Maybe my words are a little bit contentious, anyhow I say what I think.
My concept for increasing playbility of this tournament is registration constant teams before each season. You know what I am talking about, don't you? It is like a reality. You gather three people (except you) and you report that your team is able to play in the Cup. I think it is possible to create the separate tournament for that like we have Online WC. From fall till spring. For example it would be organised on 3rd Tuesaday of each month. Statistics would be counted on http://www.dsjtournaments.com :D
Created teams ought to have:
-original name
-the same color of jumping suits
-the emblem/flag
-the separate chat during the tournament
-average rating (a sum of every member's rating divided by four)

This idea has many cons beacause it would be diversity for online competitors. If it would be introduced, the frequency in TC raised a lot. :!:
Dear players, do you enjoy this idea or are you a follower of the old system? I run the poll above this post. :)
Jussi, what is your statement, please say if you are able to do that :)
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
MJumper

Re: New Team Cup formula.

Post by MJumper »

I voted 'No' (sorry :P). I think the current team cup system is simple and elegant.

Could you state the exact problem(s) more clearly, is it just that you tend to lose more rating than elsewhere, or also that you don't like teams changing for other reasons, or something else yet?

I think the rating "problem" could be most easily "fixed" by making team cup unrated (but I don't think it is necessary, since I don't really see it as a problem).

While I agree that a fixed-team competition would be interesting, I think your suggestion just adds more problems:
  • What if I can't find anyone to join my team? :(
  • What if my team mates don't show up? :(
  • The way you describe it (with a separate registration process), it even seems to require manual configuration by Jussi, and it's inconvenient to join mid-season.
A more automatic way of emulating fixed teams would be to just use rating instead of the qualification round to determine the teams. But I think it's actually fun that weaker jumpers have a chance to get into the better teams (imagine how unwelcoming team cup would be if you were a 1000ish jumper and had to jump in a team that never qualifies).

By the way, I actually gained around +50 rating in TC last thursday (and then I lost it on saturday in the normal WOT) :D.