The future of DSJ

General discussion about DSJ4.
jurijtepes

Re: The future of DSJ

Post by jurijtepes »

I don't see how Jussi could implement a game that is supposed to be played on the computer onto mobile devices. Personally I don't think it would work but like someone else said "Career mode app". That would work. Of course you'd have to make the career mode but i'd like it. it could be optional. and it could increase sales by a lot.
walczu

Post by walczu »

Hello,
I understand that hill's editor is impossible to make and i understand that you (@Jussi) can't write any tutorial, but maybe somebody can help you. For example I can help you with making hills for free. I don't know how hills are done, but if you made it in 3d editor like 3dsmax or Rhinoceros I can take it, I know that programs and i have experience with making 3d for games (stadiums for FIFA).
Waiting for your answer. :)
Hocx

Post by Hocx »

Hope that this is not end of DSJ :) I would pay much more if it would cost to play DSJ I love this game. Jussi don't let us down :)
crystal

Post by crystal »

Real bummer...
Hopefully there is a way to gain a bit more income for you from this, the advertising thing would be possibly a little way (could imagine for example fluege.de being interested...) - have you thought about banner advertising on the webpage?
Spendon

Post by Spendon »

The availiability of the game is nothing to exactly brag about. And the previous marketing strategy, "mouth to mouth", isn't up to date with the new social media era of the internet.

Is there even an official Facebook page for Deluxe Ski Jump?
What about a twitter account?

Okay after a bit of research, I found a Facebook-page. Is it really official? I can't really tell from it, wether it is fan-made, or what it is. If it is fan-based, then someone at least is giving it a go. If however, it is an official site made by Jussi Koskela, then it is not what i would be expecting.
My concerns lie with the lack of updates, the only updates there are, are allready on the website (which has no visible link to the FB-page).
I'm however not talking about massive updates, like several times a day with video-blogs or anything really fancy. Maybe just at least once a week during the ski-jump season, with small and simple updates like for instance asking what the followers expect from the new season, or the next event.
Examples of simple updates that would keep the FB-page alive, and thus visible to other users:
"What do/did you think of this weekends competition at Planica?"
"Thank you for another season, looking forward to November allready! PS: Dont forget, all hills in DSJ 4 has plastic mattings :)"

As simple as that, and you would be more visible to other, potential new customers' Facebook wall. My and other peoples likes and comments on your statuses will be visible to our friends.

This is purely meant as input for you Jussi, please take no offense if this is allready on your mind, and you have just made other priorities come first.
BartiSkiJumper

Post by BartiSkiJumper »

walczu wrote:Hello,
I understand that hill's editor is impossible to make and i understand that you (@Jussi) can't write any tutorial, but maybe somebody can help you. For example I can help you with making hills for free. I don't know how hills are done, but if you made it in 3d editor like 3dsmax or Rhinoceros I can take it, I know that programs and i have experience with making 3d for games (stadiums for FIFA).
Jussi is doing everything in C++, so you cant help him ;/
Bartek Winczaszek:
DSJ3 TL - 7850.57m #1
DSJ4 TL - 3543.26m #6
DSJ4 Online Peak: 1959 #1
TDD 2013-2020: #2 - #3 - #2 - #2 - #1 - #2 - #1 - #1

My YT and Twitch channels: youtube.com/user/BartiSkiJumper - twitch.tv/BartiDSJ
mjaorh

Post by mjaorh »

I think the problem with the game is lack of renewing. Still its the same interface that it has been for many years. Its old and not very attractive. The game itself is totally awesome for us who have played it for years and for those who really like ski jumping. But if Jussi is interested in new gamers to by the game, he really should do something to make the game appeal to a bigger mass of people. For now, the game is very much the same thing over and over. Jump, jump, jump and jump...and jump. Why don't include real names, career mode and etc. Stay with the hills already in the game. Make it more exciting. Include stats, upgrades, budgets and so one. Off course without killing the good DSJ feeling. Just my idea ;)

If I where Jussi, I would stop doing DSJ4, start on DSJ2014/15 (if not 2015/16)... keep the hills already made and include a few more (2-3) with a lot of other features. :) Don't get over your head, but be ambitious!!!
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

Spendon wrote:Is there even an official Facebook page for Deluxe Ski Jump?
What about a twitter account?
They are all maintained voluntarily by fans of DSJ. The lack of official ones is blatant but you shouldn't underestimate the amount of time and effort that has to be put to keep the community happy in Facebook/Twitter.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

walczu wrote:Hello,
The hills are not created in a 3D editor but in a text editor. This was a viable solution for simple hills like those available in the Beta versions, but it's quite clumsy and complex to create more realistic looking hills like those available now.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

MJumper wrote:Incidentally, Jussi, would it be appropriate to inquire about the relative share of income stream from online subscriptions vs. full version keys? That is, how big a share of players actually keep playing online after the initial free period? Just out of interest and of course no need to answer if you don't want to reveal such information.
I'm not going to give any numbers, but the share is not that high. I think one of the problems is that it's mostly the very high level players who keep playing online, which, in turn, scares the beginners easily away.

Free online playing would naturally attract more players to buy the base game but I'm not convinced if it work in the long run.
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

what about donation through PayPal or so? Once there is a reasonable amount (fair compensation for your work) donated, new hills could be made? A win-win situation for all, no? :)
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

jukkis wrote:what about donation through PayPal or so? Once there is a reasonable amount (fair compensation for your work) donated, new hills could be made? A win-win situation for all, no? :)
As crazy as it sounds, but that's illegal in Finland. :shock:
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

Jussi Koskela wrote:
jukkis wrote:what about donation through PayPal or so? Once there is a reasonable amount (fair compensation for your work) donated, new hills could be made? A win-win situation for all, no? :)
wtf? has that always been illegal or is this a new law?

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahjoitus
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

jukkis wrote:
Jussi Koskela wrote:
wtf? has that always been illegal or is this a new law?

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahjoitus
A permission is required when asking for donations and it's not possible for companies to get such permission.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahanker%C3%A4ys
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

A permission is required when asking for donations and it's not possible for companies to get such permission.
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahanker%C3%A4ys
ah ok, i understand now.