The future of DSJ

General discussion about DSJ4.
maftei.alin

Re: The future of DSJ

Post by maftei.alin »

Maciejo-96 wrote:It's still under construction.
Kulm also :)
Austrian_Skijumpfan_94

Post by Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 »

Kulm will be HS230 I think
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

I think every modernised hill which exist actually in DSJ4, should be remade but only if Jussi considers if it will be necessary.
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Maciejo-96 wrote:I think every modernised hill which exist actually in DSJ4, should be remade but only if Jussi considers if it will be necessary.
Maybe he could remake them and call it DSJ5, so we can pay for the new hills :wink: .
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

@up
Jussi Koskela wrote: I wish it was that simple :)
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

@maciej
My post was a joke, but I wonder if that idea could be feasible if it were taken a bit further.

That comment by Jussi you quoted was directed, as I see it, at a proposal to release a final version of DSJ4 and then start DSJ5 from scratch. Jussi can't charge us for updates so the intuitive thing to do would be (in my opinion) to stop maintaining DSJ4 and move on to a next version that is distinct enough to qualify as another game while still being heavily based on DSJ4 under the hood.

So, how much needs to change so it can be called DSJ5? Just more hills obviously won't do it so some new features are needed, many of which could be inspired by the various popular ideas that keep recurring at these forums. Additionally maybe the graphics could be changed a bit (changing menu would be the most visible) and a game mode or two added (maybe record hunt mode, online game with jump points instead of cup points, etc.)? I think that's enough to call it a new game, it's basically the same as what EA Sports et al. seem to be doing with their titles every year: just a little reskin and some minor new features. I don't think a physics engine change is required, and the hills can probably use the same format (unless Jussi sees a better option).

I'm sorry if this is too naïve, or whatever, but in that case I would like an explanation as to why it wouldn't work. Of course, if this doesn't seem economically feasible then sure, we can forget about it. But is the principle itself flawed and if so why?
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

DSJ5 sounds quite utopistic at this point.
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

So keep still developing DSJ4. Newest version isn't still perfect.
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

Jussi Koskela wrote:DSJ5 sounds quite utopistic at this point.
That's a shame (though not surprising). I guess, with no sight of DSJ5 in the future, it would make even less sense to keep developing DSJ4 (because what's the point of pleasing customers if they can't buy anything)?

I wouldn't be that sorry if DSJ4 development ended now, it's a great game already. The inclusion of online records made me really happy, and now I can't think of anything important still missing. Thank you, Jussi, for this game. If you ever make DSJ5 I'll be sure to buy it, if not I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do instead :).
Austrian_Skijumpfan_94

Post by Austrian_Skijumpfan_94 »

DSJ4 just need a few more hills, then it´s perfect :)
maku233

Post by maku233 »

Dear Jussi, is it possible that you'll make and share DSJ3 Hill Editor? Hills in DSJ3 are very simple; it could be like hills editor in Ski Jump International 3; so, it will be very fun for DSJ fans
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

maku233 wrote:Dear Jussi, is it possible that you'll make and share DSJ3 Hill Editor? Hills in DSJ3 are very simple; it could be like hills editor in Ski Jump International 3; so, it will be very fun for DSJ fans
No chance as it was written earlier...
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
maku233

Post by maku233 »

Szymon11 wrote:
maku233 wrote:Dear Jussi, is it possible that you'll make and share DSJ3 Hill Editor? Hills in DSJ3 are very simple; it could be like hills editor in Ski Jump International 3; so, it will be very fun for DSJ fans
Where?
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

maku233 wrote:
Szymon11 wrote:
Where?
Many places: searching for "hill editor" returns 53 topics which is about 1.5% of all topics of this forum. In many of them it has been pointed out (either by Jussi or by someone quoting him) that hill editor would be too much work for Jussi and too complex to use for others, which goes for all versions of DSJ (as far as I know).
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

In my opinion, hill editor is a bit more utopistic than DSJ5 :D