switching camera views in jump

General discussion about DSJ4.
Peter Meze

switching camera views in jump

Post by Peter Meze »

Hi there.

I found the best combination of getting the correct moment of take off and guidnig the flight if I switch camera 4 to 2 at the moment of take off. I wonder does anyone else finds it cool or am I a bit complicated and weird? :)
MJumper

Re: switching camera views in jump

Post by MJumper »

I used to do it in Kuopio (not specifically default F4 -> F2 but two of my custom cameras). The take-off in that hill is simply not visible with my default camera (unless I move the camera really close but that brings it's own problems: the jumper will cover most of the screen even with maximum zoom out). So I have one camera specifically dedicated to take off in Kuopio :D. Therefore you're not the only one, but I'm guessing most people at my skill level or above just use standard F2, or less frequently F1, (which makes me a bit "weird" too since I only use modified camera angles) and stick with it for the whole jump. So, yeah I think we're in the minority :).

However, I am now trying to get rid of this habit and here's why:
Even though the takeoff camera eliminates completely failed takeoffs caused by visibility problems in some hills it does not (in my case anyway) seem to otherwise improve the average jump. First of all, while it makes my worst takeoffs better, it also makes my best takeoffs worse. This is because of how close the camera is, it is easier to avoid jumping way too early or too late but it's harder to jump just at the right time (because you don't feel the "rhythm" of the jump the same way from so close). Secondly, I have also found that making the switch causes a slight delay in the early flight; I reach position a bit later. That is in fact so significant, that it cancels out part of any improved timing of the jump. Most importantly though, it is possible to learn those takeoffs even with limited visiblity. I remember in DSJ 3 that I taught myself to jump pretty decently with every camera, even the judge tower view: just by following the motion of the camera even though I couldn't even see the jumper.

Another reason I consider this a bad habit is that, unless you use standard F4 or F3 for the takeoff camera (which I don't recommend because the switch delay is longer the more the takeoff and flight cameras differ from each other), you need a separate one for each tricky hill and there are only a few camera slots to use. With more hills appearing, I'm afraid I can't depend on this "trick" too long.

But if F4 -> F2 works for you that's great! Being in the minority is, by itself, no reason not to do something. Just make sure it actually is your optimal configuration. It's easy to be fooled by first impressions: what might appear a bit easier at first might not be the best way in the end.
Peter Meze

Re: switching camera views in jump

Post by Peter Meze »

Thanks for the very instructive and thorough reply. I am quite new with DSJ4 (jumped a lot on DSJ3 years ago, which is completely different ball game). For now I find it too difficult to use F2 through the whole jump, cause I can't see the take off point soon enough. I experimented with custom F2 view but it doesn't feel right. But I agree 100 %, my variation delays the correct flight position. I will try and try and try and go to sleep :) Thank you.