On the philosophy of record hunting

General discussion about DSJ4.
MJumper

Re: On the philosophy of record hunting

Post by MJumper »

Jussi Koskela wrote:With those "tricks" you can approximately double the number of jumps compared to jumping in every competition normally. Doesn't sound very compelling to me, but of course I'm not a record hunter type of person. :)
Neither am I but I think true hunters will use any available means of improving their efficiency of gaining records. Actually, I think making the process more tedious runs the risk of just increasing the gap between hunters and non-hunters because the hunters will hunt as long as it's in any way possible :).

Of course, the real "trick" is to just play for hours on end. Maybe that's fundmentally what I find unfair: some people being able to do that and others not. Of course, at that point it's only my subjective opinion (and a reflection of my political views on economics, I guess :D).
daniel98511

Post by daniel98511 »

@up

Good idea. :)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
but my WR :(
BartiSkiJumper

Post by BartiSkiJumper »

hyperlogic wrote:I decided to prevent this kind of wind searching in the online game. There's now a restriction that you may not restart the same cup server again during the next 2 minutes if you abort the cup during the first competition.
So now you have to delete all the records(ALL Players) and start again today at the World Cup (WC Wednesday 19.00 CE(S)T)[/quote]
Totally agree, it's not fair now
Bartek Winczaszek:
DSJ3 TL - 7850.57m #1
DSJ4 TL - 3543.26m #6
DSJ4 Online Peak: 1959 #1
TDD 2013-2020: #2 - #3 - #2 - #2 - #1 - #2 - #1 - #1

My YT and Twitch channels: youtube.com/user/BartiSkiJumper - twitch.tv/BartiDSJ
MJumper

Post by MJumper »

I'm all for it but I don't think the hunters would like that :lol:.
mrintel

Post by mrintel »

You may say I'm a hunter, but I'm not the only one... - John Lennon, 1971. So I prepared some kind of defence of hunters, including myself. :)

First start with me - although I actually was searching for wind during first 12 hours from release of the game, it was just a try to make my online records decent. 31st March was my last day online, so, using the opportunity created by Jussi, I was trying to make in one day something that the other would do within a months. I succeeded a little, but only 10 of 24 records were made when I was alone in the room - including those great jumps in Kulm, Klingenthal and Lillehammer (but, for example, there were some witnesses of my jumps in Val di Fiemme, Planica and Willingen). I think I'm also not as big hunter as Georg Gasser, Hyperlogic or Greex, but I don't find it as an excuse. :)

But record hunting is something that is just obvious - people always use any opportunity, this is just our nature. We can fight with it, but I - objectively - don't find it irritating. If someone is having fun jumping online, why take it away from him? Apart from erasing the current online records, I would like to see the third category, which can become the most important one: official tournament's records.
daniel98511

Post by daniel98511 »

mrintel wrote:You may say I'm a hunter, but I'm not the only one... - John Lennon, 1971. So I prepared some kind of defence of hunters, including myself. :)

First start with me - although I actually was searching for wind during first 12 hours from release of the game, it was just a try to make my online records decent. 31st March was my last day online, so, using the opportunity created by Jussi, I was trying to make in one day something that the other would do within a months. I succeeded a little, but only 10 of 24 records were made when I was alone in the room - including those great jumps in Kulm, Klingenthal and Lillehammer (but, for example, there were some witnesses of my jumps in Val di Fiemme, Planica and Willingen). I think I'm also not as big hunter as Georg Gasser, Hyperlogic or Greex, but I don't find it as an excuse. :)

But record hunting is something that is just obvious - people always use any opportunity, this is just our nature. We can fight with it, but I - objectively - don't find it irritating. If someone is having fun jumping online, why take it away from him? Apart from erasing the current online records, I would like to see the third category, which can become the most important one: official tournament's records.
You can buy subscripton :mrgreen:
Vaaranto

Post by Vaaranto »

Yes good, but dont delete records.
hyperlogic

Post by hyperlogic »

Vaaranto wrote: but dont delete records.
Jussi must delete the records is unfair to players who they jump from today
greex1

Post by greex1 »

I agree with Hyperlogic. That is unfair for players, who start jump today and in the next days/months.
DSJ4 Beta 2 - WR Total Lenght, WR Bad Mitterndorf HS200 and Zakopane HS94
Online World Cup 2011/2012 - World Cup A - 3rd position
Online World Cup 2012/2013 - Ski Flying A winner
Online 4HT 2013/2014 - World Cup A - 3rd position
BartiSkiJumper

Post by BartiSkiJumper »

I think you should delete this blocade, or make tournament records (WOT, Marathon, National Cup, Flying Cup) separately.
Bartek Winczaszek:
DSJ3 TL - 7850.57m #1
DSJ4 TL - 3543.26m #6

Vaaranto

Post by Vaaranto »

Because there is people who been jumping online 10+hours trying to make the best jumps possible in the past day, and deleting records would be so frustrating to those peoples.
BartiSkiJumper

Post by BartiSkiJumper »

Vaaranto wrote:Because there is people who been jumping online 10+hours trying to make the best jumps possible in the past day, and deleting records would be so frustrating to those peoples.
But now there is no sense for jumping, because there are 95% less chances to beat any record now. That is unfair
Bartek Winczaszek:
DSJ3 TL - 7850.57m #1
DSJ4 TL - 3543.26m #6

Zmaster

Post by Zmaster »

Barti yes there is sense for jumping, the rating and social interaction :D Doin't forget that online is to compete also with others, the records are a plus and they CAN happen any time there happens to be an insane wind. And yes, now that there is a set of decent records, jumping a new record will be amazing for everyone.

I find it really good if solo-online jumping will become unappealing.
That's gotta hurt.
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

I'm not going to reset the hill records. Possibility for wind hunting gave a small head start to those who did it, but in a few weeks their relative advantage will become very small. There will be plenty of good winds for everyone!
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

Sounds nice :)
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen