The future of DSJ

General discussion about DSJ4.
Rid

Re: The future of DSJ

Post by Rid »

There's no good Ski Jumping Manager. Maybe it could be your next project IF you do not want to create hill editor.
davisp

Post by davisp »

It's a shame that fundraising is not legal where Jussi resides. Isn't there anything we can do to support Jussi? I would really love to see more hills in DSJ4 or even a DSJ5.
World Record Holder for 5 minutes
virpi

Post by virpi »

davisp wrote:It's a shame that fundraising is not legal where Jussi resides. Isn't there anything we can do to support Jussi? I would really love to see more hills in DSJ4 or even a DSJ5.
I just did some research on that strange finnish fundraising law...damn, that's really f...ed up. And I thought German law was strange. :/
jakub17

Post by jakub17 »

I didn't read earlier posts, but I think the good idea would be release a lite version of DSJ 4 in lower price with few popular hills and with possibility to buy additional hills. It could be an alternate option for people who don't want to have all the hills, but only these they choose.
Rajmek1233

Post by Rajmek1233 »

jakub17 wrote:I didn't read earlier posts, but I think the good idea would be release a lite version of DSJ 4 in lower price with few popular hills and with possibility to buy additional hills. It could be an alternate option for people who don't want to have all the hills, but only these they choose.
Such like a DLC.
maftei.alin

Post by maftei.alin »

I think I will stop playing...this game its death and boring :(
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

maftei.alin wrote:I think I will stop playing...this game its death and boring :(
I have these thoughts such as you. I had been playing this game 1.5 year constantly. I was so fired up because of updates and new hills, that was giving me a motivation to play it still, beat new records, set goals in online game. But now, when this wonderful game is not alive, it makes no sense for me to play... :? I will participate in the World Cup of course, but it is not so interesting as it was earlier...
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
MikesCZ

Post by MikesCZ »

Hi,

I wasn't active here for a long time, I actually had to reset my password so I could log in and respond...
i myself don't play anymore, I have moved on to other games + have a job.

I saw this thread posted on Facebook so I read the whole thing and want to add my 2 cents.
I don't want to repeat everything that has been already said, so I'll just say this:

Many of you (I suspect these are mostly young kids) don't understand how this works. You have discovered the beauty of DSJ, have been playing it a lot and now can't accept/don't understand that this game is on the decline.
This process is not something new in PC games universe. There were games that were worldwide popular and half of you today don't even know they existed. DSJ is a game targeted at a very specific and very small group of people. Ski Jumping is not Football. It might be widely popular sport in Poland, but that's it.....go across the border and people will be like "Ski Jumping? What??". I live 10 kilometers from Poland and some of my colleagues at work are Polish and I have discussed this with them also.

Now to respond to some suggestions of yours...
- Nobody would want to have their Advertisements placed in this game (no offense) and in-game purchases (you don't really need anything) or customized skins will not make the sales skyrocket either.
- Opening the online world to everyone is not a good idea either

On the other hand it is true that some things could have been done in better way by Mr. Koskela:
- Yes the menu style looks really outdated, we are not living in 1990s anymore
- Players should be able to see the online traffic before they actually buy the subscription - Imagine you buy it, enter the server and discover there is noone jumping with you
- Online mode is very antisocial, it is basically a competitive single mode

BUT the main point is still this: This game is absolutely amazing precisely because it is what it is. It will still be enjoyable years and years from now even if Mr. Koskela calls it a day (and I still hope he does not :) )

To players: If you want to support the game and its creator, you can actually advertise it yourself. I did it several times, posted it on couple forums, my facebook wall etc.... I hope there was one guy who bought the game after reading about it from me (I know that couple friends of mine downloaded the demo and gave it a shot). If it doesn't....you only lost couple minutes that you would lose on youtube and stuff anyway.
You can of course support it with your $$$, as long as there are enough subscriptions to cover the servers, you're fine :) Buy the game as a gift to someone :)

Mr. Koskela - you have created a little piece of history with this game series and I want to thank you for all the fun the game has provided. Whatever the next step will be, I am sure you have it all very well thought out and it will be the right decision. Good luck in all your future endeavours. :wink:

One last side note: Could you make the T-Shirts cheaper? I would really like to have a piece of clothing that has DSJ logo on it, but the price is a little steep :) :) :)
Name: Michal Kala
Nation: CZE

Support the game - buy it and come join us online!
Szymon11

Post by Szymon11 »

MikesCZ wrote:Hi,

I wasn't active here for a long time, I actually had to reset my password so I could log in and respond...
i myself don't play anymore, I have moved on to other games + have a job.

I saw this thread posted on Facebook so I read the whole thing and want to add my 2 cents.
I don't want to repeat everything that has been already said, so I'll just say this:

Many of you (I suspect these are mostly young kids) don't understand how this works. You have discovered the beauty of DSJ, have been playing it a lot and now can't accept/don't understand that this game is on the decline.
This process is not something new in PC games universe. There were games that were worldwide popular and half of you today don't even know they existed. DSJ is a game targeted at a very specific and very small group of people. Ski Jumping is not Football. It might be widely popular sport in Poland, but that's it.....go across the border and people will be like "Ski Jumping? What??". I live 10 kilometers from Poland and some of my colleagues at work are Polish and I have discussed this with them also.

Now to respond to some suggestions of yours...
- Nobody would want to have their Advertisements placed in this game (no offense) and in-game purchases (you don't really need anything) or customized skins will not make the sales skyrocket either.
- Opening the online world to everyone is not a good idea either

On the other hand it is true that some things could have been done in better way by Mr. Koskela:
- Yes the menu style looks really outdated, we are not living in 1990s anymore
- Players should be able to see the online traffic before they actually buy the subscription - Imagine you buy it, enter the server and discover there is noone jumping with you
- Online mode is very antisocial, it is basically a competitive single mode

BUT the main point is still this: This game is absolutely amazing precisely because it is what it is. It will still be enjoyable years and years from now even if Mr. Koskela calls it a day (and I still hope he does not :) )

To players: If you want to support the game and its creator, you can actually advertise it yourself. I did it several times, posted it on couple forums, my facebook wall etc.... I hope there was one guy who bought the game after reading about it from me (I know that couple friends of mine downloaded the demo and gave it a shot). If it doesn't....you only lost couple minutes that you would lose on youtube and stuff anyway.
You can of course support it with your $$$, as long as there are enough subscriptions to cover the servers, you're fine :) Buy the game as a gift to someone :)

Mr. Koskela - you have created a little piece of history with this game series and I want to thank you for all the fun the game has provided. Whatever the next step will be, I am sure you have it all very well thought out and it will be the right decision. Good luck in all your future endeavours. :wink:

One last side note: Could you make the T-Shirts cheaper? I would really like to have a piece of clothing that has DSJ logo on it, but the price is a little steep :) :) :)
The crux of whole discussion. Reasonable words have been said. :D
Peak: 1835
Total length offline: 3535.16 m
Total length online: 3500.20 m
Former online world record holder: Wisła.
Former offline world record holder in Oberstdorf! First jumper ever who broke and stood 230 meters barrier!
Jussi Koskela
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jussi Koskela »

MikesCZ wrote: One last side note: Could you make the T-Shirts cheaper? I would really like to have a piece of clothing that has DSJ logo on it, but the price is a little steep :) :) :)
My margin for the T-shirts is 2 euros, the rest goes to T-shirt manufacturer.
akkarbelling

Post by akkarbelling »

Well said MikesCZ!
Damian87

Post by Damian87 »

Mr Jussi
Since there will be new facilities
Can we count on new versions of Kulm and Planica hill ?
Maciejo-96

Post by Maciejo-96 »

What about modifications of main menu, like Michal wrote? Sometimes I feel that I am playing pretty old game :)
Join me on my Twitch streams:
https://www.twitch.tv/mathijsen
AlexRollercoaster

Post by AlexRollercoaster »

I'm just interested whats going up this Winter in DSJ4 Online
Kloss

Post by Kloss »

Probably everything was said already, but have you considered selling your game to anyone? Or at least shares?

I wonder if FIS wouldn't be interested to use this game for marketing purposes under their own name, and just pay you for this. This could be win win situation.

The alternative is that some guy from US will win the Olympics in Ski Jumping, and then at the talk show he/she will mention your game during the prime time. I am pretty this would get you going for a while ;-)